Salted Smoked Kippers ( Herring)

Discussion in 'Fish' started by gsdressler, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Hello everyone.

I am looking for some smoked kippers that used to be readily avilable some time ago, but can't seem to find them anyore. They were herring fillets with  many of the bones still intact, and were very very salty. They were sold in small wooden boxes to suppliers, and then repackaged  on grocer trays or sold in bulk wrapped in freezer paper. They were cold smoked, I believe, so they would not need refridgeration. Does anyone know if these fish are still available, and where I could possibly find them?

Thank you!!

Greg

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

MMMmmmmm, sounds great !

Can't help you with those, but I like these little snack cans (below).

Mrs Bear gets them for me at the Dollar store.

[​IMG]

Bear

3. Hi Bear,

Yes, these are very good, that's foresure. I am able to get these at all of my local grocers. But, they still aren't what I'm looking for. The ones I'm looking for are a dry, salted, smoked fillet.

Thanks for the repy!!

Greg

4. bearcarver

Yup---That's what I figured.

Bear

5. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

something like these blind robins?

http://www.wholey.com/moblrohe.html

I post about these on another thread. In order to not require refrigeration they need to have a 17% salt content.......Gag....But I ate my share back in the day

6. bearcarver

LOL---Those things were always terrible, but tasted Great with a couple (or more) beers!!!!

Bear

7. Those are the real McCoy!!  Yup, exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for the info Dan!!  I just hope I can have them shipped to me here in Canada. Thanks again!!

Greg

8. These are the ones that I buy at the Dollar Store

[​IMG]

9. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

Quote:
    Just a couple?????  LMAO Couple six packs.

JC

10. Thank you for all of your help on this. I talked to my local grocer here at IGA(Sobey's) and I can get the smoked herring from them. The only drawback is that I must purchase a ten pound case. That should last for awhile. I best be stocking up on the suds.....going to be allot of thirsty days soon.

11. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks like you nailed it Dan !!!!! Good Job.  

12. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Them thing's are so salty and dry they will probably last forever!

Glad you found a source, and hope you enjoy them.

13. Another suggestion. Try to find an Asian Market (China Town). I think I've seen those in my area China Town.

14. billyj571

billyj571 Smoking Fanatic

I've seen them in Vancouver BC in china town if that helps

15. Thanks to all that helped me out finding these, but believe it or not, I found that I can get them locally.....never would have thought it would be possible. My local IGA ( Sobeys) and Co-op can special order them for me. Like I said earlier though, they only come in 10 pound cases. But they will last a looonnggg time!!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Greg

16. I will make my own as soon as my smoker is finished. They are delicious them ans smoked kiack and smoked mackerel.

Maple Man

17. tautologist

tautologist Newbie

This may be too far away, but the Price Chopper in Cortland NY often has them. I'm eating some now. $8 a pound.

18. marie-ann

marie-ann Newbie

Do you have the smoked kippers that were taken from the shelves several years ago? We have been unable to find any that compared to those processed in The Canadian Maritimes? The ones we liked had a Scotish Tartan on the package. I believe it was red with green and blue.

19. marie-ann

marie-ann Newbie

The Smoked \Kippers I am looking for are NOT in a can!!! Those are horrible!!!