Salt curing our next years Prosciutto hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wonderful!! Great learning process even though I'll probably never get to do it!

I agree with Ahron and Pops 

first.gif

I never remembered what the meat was called in Italy but I remembered the great taste it had. I only got there once during my Navy career to sample the local food and wine. I truly enjoyed it.

Unreal, I love this!!!  That ratchet strap is such an awesome idea! What kind of wood boards did you use, maple?  Can't imagine the typical pine would be good 
jaw-dropping.gif

typical pine...LMAO
laugh all you want, but those boards clearly look like pine boards to me.  You're not supposed to smoke anything using any kind of evergreen, and I can imagine the piney flavor that may be infused from using pine boards.  Or if they're really dried out, maybe it's a non-issue.

So instead of laughing, tell me, what kind of wood are you using for those boards?

laugh all you want, but those boards clearly look like pine boards to me.  You're not supposed to smoke anything using any kind of evergreen, and I can imagine the piney flavor that may be infused from using pine boards.  Or if they're really dried out, maybe it's a non-issue.

So instead of laughing, tell me, what kind of wood are you using for those boards?
he did.it's pine dried. and they are being used to just press the hams not smoke

cycletrash....  evening.....  

Is the dry curing method for the hams, something that could be used on pork butt, bone removed...  

I was thinking of splitting the butt at the bone into 2 pieces....   quicker cure, thinner hunk of meat and all....  hang in a netting or something....  proscuito no bone.....   I suppose the bone does add some flavor to the meat.... 

Have you done that or heard of it....  any specific places to go look  .....  maybe it is not called proscuito when a butt is used ???

Dave

Buckboard Proscuitto!

Only thing I'd be concerned about that is the major difference here is that you don't have most of the butt covered in skin, which does act as a protectant to the meat inside..  as they say when doing proscuitto, or virginia country hams, always try to get a leg with a long shank as it protects it better duing the curing phase, due to more skin coverage.

Is the dry curing method for the hams, something that could be used on pork butt, bone removed...  

Of course, or a picnic, or whatever.
Heck, coppa (collar) comes from the upper part of the shoulder.

In my opinion it's not a good idea to do any type of deboning when true dry curing if it'll lead to an enclosed area during the curing process.

~Martin

Last edited:

In my opinion it's not a good idea to do any type of deboning when true dry curing if it'll lead to an enclosed area during the curing process.

~Martin
I was thinking the same thing. Coppa/Capicola/Capocollo would be a natural. Goggle "Homemade (any of the names)" and you'll find a fair amount of info on the process. A couple links are below.

http://menuinprogress.com/2011/11/homemade-coppa-capicola.html

http://www.wwf5.com/stuffers.com/content/recipes/sausrecp.pdf

Rob ( cycletrash)) and I have thought about trying it but havent got to it yet '

Just remember we salted one day for every pound and to put 

a fan  on it after you hang it 'fan helps pull more moisture out

Last edited:

~Martin
Martin..... I was going to remove the bone while splitting the butt into 2 parts at the bone....  maybe into 4 parts so each is about 4x3" with no compromised sections of meat in the interior....  I've gotta get a refer/dry aging/fermenting set up....  all this stuff is driving me nuts....  (I didn't have far to go)...

Martin..... I was going to remove the bone while splitting the butt into 2 parts at the bone....  maybe into 4 parts so each is about 4x3" with no compromised sections of meat in the interior....  I've gotta get a refer/dry aging/fermenting set up....  all this stuff is driving me nuts....  (I didn't have far to go)...

That shouldn't be a problem.

~Martin

@Cycletrash

I am a newbie just finished a 22 calt cure for my 2 pork legs going try  my spartan luck, I need some advice look my thread " my first attempt on curing my pork legs

can u check it out and see if I missed something HELP !!

I think that casing can be used to cover the meat and to keep it kinda airtight then netting over it,

its the same process as they do with sopresatta i think

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky