Salt curing our next years Prosciutto hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cycletrash

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Ohio
Here is the start of our hams for next year...

16c60ea7_np2.jpg

fbdc0700_np1.jpg

Lookin' good Cycletrash. We're watchin' this one with a great deal of interest. I admire the moxie it takes to pull off such an artisian project. Wish you the greatest success, and I'm sure you'll ace it as usual. Not sure what real Prosciutto even tastes like, as I've only had the packaged stuff from the Deli section of the grocer. Doubt it even compares to yours. Bet your circle of "friends" grows considerably larger in the coming year. What's the next step?

After cutting out the " H bone" bone and heavily salting them , we press for 25 to 30 days..we will rinse them in red wine , rub them down with garlic , then lard , and black pepper then hang them for a year or two.

Lookin' good Cycletrash. We're watchin' this one with a great deal of interest. I admire the moxie it takes to pull off such an artisian project. Wish you the greatest success, and I'm sure you'll ace it as usual. Not sure what real Prosciutto even tastes like, as I've only had the packaged stuff from the Deli section of the grocer. Doubt it even compares to yours. Bet your circle of "friends" grows considerably larger in the coming year. What's the next step?
Your right , the deli don't even come close and our circle of friends keeps growing from us doing this.

Here is the link to last years thread to any one interested, or wondering how our prosciutto hams turn out from last year.

All I can say is WOW I have had the real deal when I was in the Navy stationed in Italy. I wondered and wondered how on earth they could hang meat in open air and not spoil. Finely I was told it was due to a salt cure. At first I was scared to death to try it for fear of getting sick. But after i did try some I was hooked, was the best tasting ham I had ever had. Boy I miss that. I may have to try making some myself, but don't know if I would have the patience to wait that long.......lol 
77.gif
 for a job well done

If you don't wait a year its just a salt cured ham that you either have to boil or fry.

Great job this year and the best for next year's endeavors!  Had great faith in y'all from the start and your processes!  Keep up the great work!  (Ahem.. shipping address below:)

LOL! 

Great job!

Great job this year and the best for next year's endeavors!  Had great faith in y'all from the start and your processes!  Keep up the great work!  (Ahem.. shipping address below:)

LOL! 

Great job!
Thanks Pops6927

Those look amazing. I will be making some from my buddy's Berkshires starting this fall/winter.

Questions: Why did you omit putting the hams in plastic bags while curing and pressing like the dude in the videos you posted in the older thread did? Also, why did you put the hams in the orange netting instead of hanging them freestyle the the guy did also? Are there benefits to the choices you made, or just convenience?

Thanks in advance for your advice and for the inspiration!

-Kyle (ArtisanBeard)

I too was stationed in Italy (Aviano Air Base in the Friuli region) and ventured over to San Daniele which is one of the places it is made. One of our fondest memories is the slices of mellons wrapped with San Daniele ham. This is definitely worth the wait.

Last edited:
I don't trust doing them in those bags....the netting was just cheaper for us to do , the local butcher has them and they handy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky