Rye sausege recepie???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've made the Len Poli Nuremburg Brats . White pepper and whole caraway are the main ingredients . You can taste the caraway for sure .

Here is a Russian Sausage I found, and tried. It was tasty, and unique.

<edit: I just found my original copy off the interwebs --
it was named "Caraway Sausage" >

5# beef or mixed with pork
(1 tsp cure #1 – if smoking the sausage)

2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoon caraway seed, ground <yes, 3 T>
3 tablespoon dill seed, ground <yes, 3T>
2 Tsp Dried Onion Flakes
2 Tsp Granulated Garlic
2 Tsp Parsley Flakes
1 cup water

Combine all, mix well and stuff in 32mm or larger casing.
[ hint: Mix the salt and cure with the diced meat a day or three ahead of time for better bind, and texture. Then grind, and season, and stuff.]

If making a fresh sausage, treat like Brats
If making smoked sausage, treat as Kielbasa

What appears to be a large amount of seeds, was actually okay in 5 pounds of meat. I chopped my seeds in a small food processor.
I've only had a chance to make this once. Next time, I would increase the onion and garlic to 1 Tbsp each. Otherwise, quite tasty!

Hope this helps
Rex

Last edited:
I was going thru that other thread on the other forum. You know, rye bread without caraway doesn't have any character that jumps out at you, yelling "RYE"!! I think we are tasting the caraway seed.

I know I do.

Here is something you can do like the Czechs do in their Cream Sausage, "Vinna Klobasa" -- dice some bread and soak in cream before adding to the meat mixture -->

Okay, I would dice enough light or dark rye bread to sop up 1 cup whipping cream (or 1/2 & 1/2), and replace the water in your formula with 1/2 cup cold white wine (this is per #5 meat mixture).

Makes my mouth water to think of it!! Got to get to makin' sausage again!
S'bohem!!

R

Reactions: DanMcG and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky