Rusty plates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cover them in a food grade grease, just wash before next use, don't use a veg oil it will become rancid, give it a try this is what I do works for me. Look at your local grocery story them may have it if not try the sausage maker or LEM or BP - also when done put the plate in a zip lock bag so the grease does not get all over everything.

Good luck hope this helps

I wash my plates in screaming hot water... dry with paper towels and air dry....  lube them and wrap in paper towels... keeping them separate...   

To remove the rust,  I just read where toilet bowl cleaner that has rust remover might be a way to get into the holes... then wash thoroughly..  really thoroughly...   Another method is to soak the plates in Coca Cola...  That's unique....  try it and let us know how it works...  Whuda Thunk it...  

I also have read where rice is a good moisture absorbent..   Maybe store in a bag in rice once dry....   

I think the initial drying is critical to stop rust formation...    I'm not sure a little rust on the plates is a health issue.. Heck it's only iron... I cook in cast iron pans....    

Dave

Wash, put in a baggie with the blade and toss them in the refrigerator or freezer ... will not rust.

buy stainless steel plates......LOL Well..... I had to put my 2 cents in

Originally Posted by S2K9K   [h3]edited post[/h3]
38x38px-ZC-84cf1503_download.jpg

S2K9K
Yesterday at 8:39 pm

Black,
I just wanted to let you know I had to edit one of your posts and delete a link. As per @TulsaJeff and our User Guidelines, offsite links are not permitted to be posted on this forum.
Here is a link to the edited post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139323/stx-turboforce-3000-series-grinder#post_1074283
Thank You for understanding,
Moderator Team
That's OK, edit my posts as you like
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
Look for Mineral Oil in the Drug Store by the Laxatives. It is Food Safe, will not go rancid and you can go from the plastic bag right to the grinder without wiping. The small amount will not affect your Bowels and the plates are pre-lubed so the grinder won't bind and the knife won't scratch the plates. I have also heated the plates right on a gas burner for a minute or two, not to get them red hot but the flame dries them quickly...JJ

Im new to this, but I'll tell you what I do in case it helps or gives you an ideal....

Ive been washing everything in the sink,  and not the dishwasher, and on the counter I lay out one of those micro fiber towels made for drying your truck...they suck up water very well...and after rinsing everything, I'll lay the plates and knife on one siide for a few minutes, then the other side on a fresh spot on the micro fiber towel.  It gets them real dry , real quick.  I then give it a quick shot of pam, and stick everything in a zip lock bag......so far, so good.

I was at bass pro last Friday and they had the food grade silicon spray, but it was 10 bucks a can.  It went in and out of the cart a couple of times and Im sure its still sitting by the jerky rack near the register waiting on some other fool to take it home with them.   i'll use the pam for now and pic up some good stuff from reteraunt depo next time Im there.

Originally Posted by S2K9K   [h3]edited post[/h3]
38x38px-ZC-84cf1503_download.jpg

S2K9K
Yesterday at 8:39 pm

Black,
I just wanted to let you know I had to edit one of your posts and delete a link. As per @TulsaJeff and our User Guidelines, offsite links are not permitted to be posted on this forum.
Here is a link to the edited post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139323/stx-turboforce-3000-series-grinder#post_1074283
Thank You for understanding,
Moderator Team
That's OK, edit my posts as you like
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky