rubs can be healthy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

werdwolf

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
I came across this at Mercola.com and thought some of you might find it interesting since we tend to use rubs around here.
Lastly, spices can "upgrade" your meal by reducing toxic compounds created during the cooking process. A study published last year discovered that adding an antioxidant-rich spice blend to meat prior to cooking reduced the level of malondialdehyde (a chemical marker for oxidation) in the meat by 71 percent and levels in participants' urine by 49 percent.

The researchers used a blend of:
ClovesCinnamonOreganoRosemary
GingerBlack pepperPaprikaGarlic powder

You can easily recreate this simply by mixing the dry spices together and rubbing them onto the meat before you quickly sear it, or add them to your marinade.

You can also help prevent the formation of toxic heterocyclic amines (HCAs) by adding blueberries or cherries to your burgers. HCAs form when food is cooked at high temperatures, and they're linked to cancer. In terms of HCA, the worst part of the meat is the blackened section.

"the worst part of the meat is the blackened section".................Really.  I guess this means we have to give up trying to make "Burn't Ends" while striving to master the Brisket.  I guess it's in the definition of what is considered "high temperature".  Are these the same researchers who said that salt, then sugar, then coffee, then whatever else they got funding for to research and write their dissertations on so they could get their doctorials, was bad for you?  I'll wager some of these researchers boil their ribs, too.

Hey Werdwolf,  amazing how the rubs we use can actually make the meat healthier for you.  Now if I could just trim all that fat a bit closer I'll be ok.   I look at charred meat the way I look at alcohol or fatty food or sugar.  I don't eat a whole lot of it so when I do eat it I want to enjoy it. 

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif
Well if this is healthy i'm loveing it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky