Rub with Lapsang Souchong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rrrowsdower

Original poster
May 28, 2020
So I am a big fan of dark, earthy black tea and also a fan of smoked meat, so its only natural that I eventually would come to ponder this question...

Has anyone ever tried making a rub out of ground Lapsang Souchong tea leaves? For those unfamiliar it is a chinese black tea, which is smoked over pinewood. I had the tea once and it was a little overpowering for my taste but it was definitely smoky. For several years i have had the idea floating in the back of my mind to buy another box and ground up the leaves and rub it on some meat, then smoke it as normal.

Am I alone or has anyone else thought of this/tried it?

I've used tea as a rub on pork tenderloin before grilling and it's good. Not the same tea as you want to use though. Tea is also used to smoke duck chicken and shrimp in Asian cuisine.

I've used tea as a rub on pork tenderloin before grilling and it's good. Not the same tea as you want to use though. Tea is also used to smoke duck chicken and shrimp in Asian cuisine.
Good to know, didnt know that.

Sounds like something you need to just jump in and try. Perhaps sub it in place of activated charcoal in a rub recipe or even coffee based rub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky