Rub problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryantassin

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Des Moines, Ia
I've got a rub I use, mostly on pork that has the basics in it, and it always ends up a little spicier than my wife and kids really like.  I've tried to offset the paprika, cayenne and black pepper with brown sugar and regular sugar and each time with making different batches it's turned out the same in the end.  Any other ideas to help offset and tone that down a little?  Thanks

If this is a rub you are making your self just cut back on the cayenne and black pepper, if the paprika is the hot variety cut back on that as well.

I have found if I ask my kid that don't like allot of heat to sample as I slowly add heat I get it right. if I try and sample its always too hot as I like hot stuff and when I think its mild to him its not. 

I have actually cut back on the peppers and paprika both, almost to the point of I feel if I cut back anymore it would be pointless to have in there. Just not sure what else to do as these ingredients are kind of staples if you will in most rubs. I really like the flavor and final outcome of my rub, just not sure what else to try at this point.

I have actually cut back on the peppers and paprika both, almost to the point of I feel if I cut back anymore it would be pointless to have in there. Just not sure what else to do as these ingredients are kind of staples if you will in most rubs. I really like the flavor and final outcome of my rub, just not sure what else to try at this point.

I think I would start out with just salt & pepper & see how they like that, then add 1 ingredient at a time until you find a combo that you all enjoy. The other option is to make the ribs both ways so you each can eat what you like. Also, I have found that if you use a sweet sauce with a spicy rub it is a great combo & the sweetness cuts down on the heat. You may want to give that a try.

I will try a sweet sauce to use with it.  Typically we eat it without the sauce altogether, as I'm still looking for a good sauce recipe I really like.  I've tried several and just haven't been blown away yet.  Thanks for the replies!  

what are these Basics? and if your making it yourself there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't control the heat factor in your rub.you could try doubleing all ingredients other than the heat.Or maybe just leave them out.somtimes less is best and just let the meat work with what you add.As Al has stated maybe 2 batches.just my 2 cents.

If it is not a secret recipe why not post it in the original form and modifications you have made and let us have a go at it 

I will often have the same problem while seasoning things.  Just put less on the meat to start and then start adjusting content if that doesnt do it. 

It might be helpful if you posted the rub recipe so we know where you started, then you might get a more specific answer.

icon_cool.gif

It would be nice to see what your using now. If your using the cheyanne and some paprika and cut them back and use more sugars you should get a sweeter rub but then is it too sweet. Maybe try adding some chili powder and cumin might give you a different flavor.

This rub is popular with friends that don't care for heat...Most Chili Powder like McCormick is mild but you may want to reduce it to 1tsp as well to start if the Kids are real sensitive...My wife does not like things too spicy but my dog who mostly gets leftovers from me now seems to love it Hot because I put Hot Sauce or Red Pepper on everything, even Pancakes with Maple Syrup!...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/4tsp and go from there.

You may also like this for Ribs...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

Last edited:
I now use the rub listed below.  It's a decent rub that we like, just not sure where to go with it to tone it down.

• 1/3 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic power
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

I have cut down the peppers by 3/4 of the original, and even tried upping the brown sugar.  Is part of the spice the paprika I'm using maybe?  I've never used it much until I started smoking meats so I'm not as familiar with it as I should be.  

I now use the rub listed below.  It's a decent rub that we like, just not sure where to go with it to tone it down.

• 1/3 cup paprika  If this is the Hot style it will say so on the label...If it just says, "Paprika" it is sweet and not a heat source.
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons black pepper  Heat, go to 1-2 tsp.
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne  Heat, no flavor, leave it out.
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper  Heat, minimal flavor with this much, leave it out.
  • 1 tablespoon garlic power
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

I have cut down the peppers by 3/4 of the original, and even tried upping the brown sugar.  Is part of the spice the paprika I'm using maybe?  I've never used it much until I started smoking meats so I'm not as familiar with it as I should be.  
What you have here is a fairly Spicy Rub...The above changes should make the little ones happy...You can start adding heat back as they get older...JJ

I would cut back on the pepper in the rub to a level where the family will enjoy it and then add cayanne to your ribs before cooking for the heat you like.

Just remeber , when you add cayanne to any dish , stop before its as hot as you want it. It will be hotter after its sets a bit.

As JJ says it doesn't add much flavor just heat so it doesn't matter when you apply it.

I think Jimmy nailed the issue with your rub. White pepper especially has a heat most don't recognize and often overlook

Also be aware that dry mustard has some bite to it as well.

A real good starting place is:

1 C brown sugar

1/4 C garlic powder

1/3 C paprika (not hot)

1/4 C kosher salt (1/8 C if you use table salt)

2-3 Tbsp. of ground black pepper

Start with that and then you can add to it a little cayanne at a time till you get the heat you want.

For a simple tastey sauce try:

1 part Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce

1/2 part cider vinegar

1/2 part apple juice/beer/anything but water... lol.

Molassas or brown sugar to taste

(optional - 1-2 Tbsp. yellow mustard)

Bring to simmer and let it reduce by approx 1/3 to 1/2.

This is a tangy thin sauce that is great as a last minute glaze or served on the side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky