• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rub Glue For Turkey

Gecko10

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 8, 2020
I am going to smoke my first turkey tomorrow and want to put a rub on it. Do you think using yellow mustard for a rub glue would leave an unpleasant taste on it?
I have used it many times on pork, but never on poultry.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 26, 2019
You won't notice any flavor from the mustard. I've used mayo as well.....or hot sauce......or just a simple mist of water. Nowadays I rarely use anything for a binder on any meats. Applying rub and allowing it to sweat( which only takes a few minutes) then turning meat to next side and repeating all over works just fine

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
For birds I either use nothing or olive oil

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Late to the party, but... Try mixing your Rub with Soft Butter or better yet, Bacon Grease! Push 3/4 of this under the Skin, legs included, and in the Cavity. Rub the remaining on the Skin and smoke it...JJ

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Spatchcock & Inject it with Tony’C’s marinade, then coat it with EVOO & Montreal chicken seasoning. Pull it out at an IT of 157 in the deepest part of the breast. Rest on counter for 1/2 hour covered loosely in foil & carve it up. Use the carcass to make gravy, boil it down & check out chef JJ‘s gravy recipes.
Al

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I generally use EVOO as my glue on everything

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.