Rub Glue For Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gecko10

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
I am going to smoke my first turkey tomorrow and want to put a rub on it. Do you think using yellow mustard for a rub glue would leave an unpleasant taste on it?
I have used it many times on pork, but never on poultry.

Reactions: kruizer
You won't notice any flavor from the mustard. I've used mayo as well.....or hot sauce......or just a simple mist of water. Nowadays I rarely use anything for a binder on any meats. Applying rub and allowing it to sweat( which only takes a few minutes) then turning meat to next side and repeating all over works just fine

Late to the party, but... Try mixing your Rub with Soft Butter or better yet, Bacon Grease! Push 3/4 of this under the Skin, legs included, and in the Cavity. Rub the remaining on the Skin and smoke it...JJ

Spatchcock & Inject it with Tony’C’s marinade, then coat it with EVOO & Montreal chicken seasoning. Pull it out at an IT of 157 in the deepest part of the breast. Rest on counter for 1/2 hour covered loosely in foil & carve it up. Use the carcass to make gravy, boil it down & check out chef JJ‘s gravy recipes.
Al

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Spatchcock & Inject it with Tony’C’s marinade, then coat it with EVOO & Montreal chicken seasoning. Pull it out at an IT of 157 in the deepest part of the breast. Rest on counter for 1/2 hour covered loosely in foil & carve it up. Use the carcass to make gravy, boil it down & check out chef JJ‘s gravy recipes.
Al

Is that Tony C's marinade good stuff?

YEA IT’S REAL GOOD, BUT IT HAS A LOT OF SALT IN IT!
Al

So I used a full 17oz bottle of Tony Chachere's Creoly Style Butter injection on a 13# bird and it was over salted in parts but the flavor was really good.

How much do you use on your birds?

So I used a full 17oz bottle of Tony Chachere's Creoly Style Butter injection on a 13# bird and it was over salted in parts but the flavor was really good.

How much do you use on your birds?

I use the whole bottle, but usually get a 20# bird. If it was over salted in parts you just didn’t move the needle around enough & got a bit too much in one place.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky