Rouladen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
It was quite the coincidence that we were planning to make this dish the day after Robert made his. Our recipe is from Northern Germany. Where pickles aren't usually added to them. Just thin cuts of beef. I use bottom round seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika. And stuffed with onions and bacon. I've also used speck instead of bacon. Quickly browned. And slow cooked on the stove for 6 or so hours. Water is added to the pot and after a few hours the drippings form. And will make a delicious gravy for it. We usually have potato dumplings (Kartoffelkoesse). But had roasted rosemary taters this time.

PA240006.JPG

Looks great Steve! A week ago, I never heard ofa rouladen, now I’m dying for one after seeing a few. Yours looks absolutely delicious!

You guys a very Killin' me! Been forever since I made Rouladen. Now I got a taste for it. Just waiting for a good price on Top Round...JJ

Looks fantastic Steve!
I have never had that before.
I guess it’s just one more for the ToDo list!
Al

Well that looks mighty fine, Steve. I had never heard of rouladen before Robert's thread so I went and did some digging on the interweb. Now you've got me doing even more digging on speck, I'd never heard of that, either. Always good to learn something...:emoji_wink:

Darn it Steve I wanted to thst Cart of an elk ossue LOL. Seriously what a meal!! Y’all are going to start a trend.

Looks really good Steve! Like many others I'd never heard of them before you and Robert's posts. And been doing some homework on a few other things mentioned. Probably gonna have to try these both ways... with the pickle and without.

Ryan

Now you and Robert have thrown these down. Need to get some made here. Is there a difference between a Rouladen and Braciole? or is it just mostly the sauce that is different?

Oh yes and those look great Steve!

Wow Steve very nice man! Like Joe I had never even heard of this dish a week ago now it is added to my ever growing to try list. Big LIKE!

What a fantastic looking plate Steve, I'm a meat and taters kind of guy and would love sitting down to that diah, huge Like! RAY

Great as usual Steve, I am hoping to make this over the weekend, I might smoke them for a bit before they go into the pot.

Looks great Steve! A week ago, I never heard ofa rouladen, now I’m dying for one after seeing a few. Yours looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you Joe!
Looks delicous Steve
Thanks Jim!

You guys a very Killin' me! Been forever since I made Rouladen. Now I got a taste for it. Just waiting for a good price on Top Round...JJ
Lol! Thanks Jimmy!

Looks fantastic Steve!
I have never had that before.
I guess it’s just one more for the ToDo list!
Al
Thanks Al!

Looks awesome Steve never had it but it sure looks like something my taste buds would go for.

Warren
Thank you Warren!

Looks great. I want that octopus plate. :emoji_sunglasses:

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks!

Well that looks mighty fine, Steve. I had never heard of rouladen before Robert's thread so I went and did some digging on the interweb. Now you've got me doing even more digging on speck, I'd never heard of that, either. Always good to learn something...:emoji_wink:
Thank you! Speck is another great meat to use. It is kinda light a slightly smoked and cured fatty ham. Served paper thing.

Darn it Steve I wanted to thst Cart of an elk ossue LOL. Seriously what a meal!! Y’all are going to start a trend.
Lol, thanks Jeff!

Looks really good Steve! Like many others I'd never heard of them before you and Robert's posts. And been doing some homework on a few other things mentioned. Probably gonna have to try these both ways... with the pickle and without.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

Now you and Robert have thrown these down. Need to get some made here. Is there a difference between a Rouladen and Braciole? or is it just mostly the sauce that is different?

Thank you! Braciole is another dish that varies widely. The biggest difference would be the sauce. Speaking of which. I haven't had that in awhile.

Wow Steve very nice man! Like Joe I had never even heard of this dish a week ago now it is added to my ever growing to try list. Big LIKE!
Thanks John!

What a fantastic looking plate Steve, I'm a meat and taters kind of guy and would love sitting down to that diah, huge Like! RAY
Thank you Ray!

Great as usual Steve, I am hoping to make this over the weekend, I might smoke them for a bit before they go into the pot.
Thank you!

No expert here but, I think most Braciole contains bread crumbs in the filling.

Steve you do always roll with the good stuff. Those look excellent. Can the be grilled also, or no? Big like.

WOW Steve!! Those look exactly like the ones I fell in love with but better prepared. Absolutely superb my friend. Please note however, this is not the first time you and I have done the same meal back to back and neither of us knew the other was doing it. Kinda like Karma...or maybe Radar Love. Who knows :emoji_laughing: Beautiful plate of food though.

Robert

WOW Steve!! Those look exactly like the ones I fell in love with but better prepared. Absolutely superb my friend. Please note however, this is not the first time you and I have done the same meal back to back and neither of us knew the other was doing it. Kinda like Karma...or maybe Radar Love. Who knows :emoji_laughing: Beautiful plate of food though.

Robert

Lol!!!! Thanks bud! You're right. This has happened before!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky