Rosemary Sausage ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Well rosemary is not one of my favorite herbs but is right up there on the wife’s list. In fact it is one of the many herb plants she lets me dig up every winter and maintain in the basement “Herb Garden” for her till spring returns . This rosemary bush is 2-3 years old and the size of basketball or bigger.

While browsing recipes I came across this recipe from Scotty2 on another forum and jokingly said, Hey, how about some rosemary sausage? Damn if she didn't light right up. So off to the store for a butt.

Here's the recipe;

4 lbs of pork butt
½ lb pork fat
37 g salt
2 tbsp fresh rosemary (6 g)
2 cloves garlic minced (7.2 g)
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper (6 g)
2 tsp ground coriander (3.5 g)
2 tsp red pepper flakes (4.3 g)
1/2 cup ice water

ground with a medium plate and stuffed into 32-35 casings.

Although I like to let fresh made sausage rest overnight to allow the flavors to meld, that wasn't happen here, hours later there was a big ol' pot of spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove with some rosemary sausage somewhere in it.

Well in the end she said it was perfect and although I thought there was way to much rosemary in it, it did add a great flavor to the sauce. The next day she took some to work to share with the kitchen staff and boss and it went over big there too, so I guess it's just me that’s not a fan.
If you try it let me know what you think about it.

here's a couple pic's to prove it happened.

linked up;

And links before the spaghetti pool swim;

Thanks for looking. :sausage:

Dan that looks really nice,great job on the links.My Rosemary survived a lot of winters then 2 yrs ago gone same as my Sweet Laurel (Bay Leave) Thanks for sharing Richie

points.gif

Thanks Richie!
I think transplanting it every fall and spring is better then shoveling snow to find it when the wifie want a sprig for her pasta sauce :biggrin:

Thanks Richie!
I think transplanting it every fall and spring is better then shoveling snow to find it when the wifie want a sprig for her pasta sauce
biggrin.gif
Dan Definitely I may get another Sweet Laurel this spring and leave it in a pot,running low on Bay Leaves LOL

Richie 

Looks and sound good, Dan.  We're making Italian and breakfast sausage tomorrow and I think you just added a third style.

Have a great weekend.

Lance

I planted this Rosemary in a tub last spring....  Brought it in this winter....    Bride is responsible for watering it....   we give it very little water...  hope it makes it...  I've been buying Rosemary plants every spring forever....  maybe we will have a plant in a few months that will keep growing...

That's looks really great. I love Rosemary but the wife only likes the flavor, hates the big pieces. I really need a spice grinder so I can try this recipe. I have so much cubed butt as well as chicken thighs in the freezer. I gotta get to sausage making soon!

Hey Worktogthr, I just mince it up real fine with a knife, but you could also add it to the cubed meat before you grind it to minimize the particle size.

I have managed not kill a rosemary plant for about 7 years. It is about to outgrow it's pot. Gotta transplant to yard this spring. Down here in the South Alabama climate it does well. Even got some wild type over in the Gulf State Park.

Your sausage looks good. Recipe is interesting. May have to try that one.

They Dave, here's what I get to maintain.

It get watered almost everyday and sits under some 6500k fluorescents. I wish the sage next to it was doing half a good

Will be making some tomorrow,I picked up a 7.5lb but in Walmart today.Just need some Rosemary

Richie

Looks awesome do you have a good breakfast sausage and a polish sausage recipe I just bought the stuff to start making sausage . I have tried to make venison kielbasa that turned ok so so . If you can share any recipes with me I would really appreciate it thanks for the great post papat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky