Rookie water pan confusion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChuckHubbert

Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
In a couple of weekends, the Brinkmann Smoke n Grill (ECB) should be modded and ready for it's first real cook. We'll probably do chicken and/or turkey breast over some apple chunks.

What I can't figure out from reading and searching is what to put in the water pan. I've seen everything from water to firebrick to lava rock to sand to nothing at all. I believe the water pan acts as a heat sink and not necessarily as a source of moisture, so I'm leaning toward lining the pan with foil and filling it with lava rock.

What do you experts think?

Thanks,

Chuck

It sounds like this is going to be the maiden voyage of your ECB. If it is I would suggest firing it up(dry - no water) and see how hot/stable it runs and for how long. If it's running hot/and spiking then try it again with plain water and see how that goes. Water is cheap.

Chris

Isn't the ECB designed as a "water smoker", if so unless you make major design change with your mods, I am guess it would still need to be "water smoker"

In other style of smokers, where water pan is mainly intended for adding moisture, you will see folks use sand, etc. as a heat sink, just to help regulate temps and recover quicker from opening the door, etc.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the ECB so might be talking out the wrong end. :-)

I use lava rock & water in my WSM, & SV 24, I just use a water pan in my
Lang & since I only use my MES for sausage the pan stays dry.
Al

Isn't the ECB designed as a "water smoker", if so unless you make major design change with your mods, I am guess it would still need to be "water smoker"

In other style of smokers, where water pan is mainly intended for adding moisture, you will see folks use sand, etc. as a heat sink, just to help regulate temps and recover quicker from opening the door, etc.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the ECB so might be talking out the wrong end. :)

So was the WSM, and I think it works better without water.

Chris

I have a Master Built 40" gasser and I almost always use the water pan. Other then when with some of the chicken recipes that I want the skin crisp. No water pan when making Canadian bacon either.

Warren

;) From the first responses, my confusion seems warranted. It sounds like this is a trial and error, experience thing. I can deal with that.

A moist environment will cause more smoke to adhere to the meat. I have two sources; one was a study, the other is my wife's taste buds. She's a "supertaster" and tastes things I can't. I'm a "nominal" taster, which fits the majority of the population. I've tested her by secretly putting water in my water pan, and without exception, she'll say "I can't eat this. It's too smoky."

Mass of any type in a smoker is a heat sink, including the meat. Mass absorbs heat energy to reach a temperature equilibrium. Water has unique properties in that it won't climb higher than 212F, but it takes a lot of energy to convert water to steam. Burning fuel is required to heat mass. The more mass you have in your smoker, more fuel is required. The thing about using water is what happens when that hot fire evaporates all the water. Temps spike, so you have to add more water. Sure, water is cheap, fuel can be too, but personally it just never made sense to me to smoke water. I tried it early on, then went dry, mostly because of my wife's taste buds, but more because I got better results by learning to control temps with vents and fuel load.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I keep the water pan in my MES filled with sand as a heat sink. Since I'm a gravel hauler, sand is free for me. But if I ever get to haul lava rock (which ain't very likely here in Alberta) I'd definitely switch to using lava rock--figure it would be an excellant heat sink.
Gaty

Trial and error sounds like the right approach to me.

Personally, I like the smoked flavor better when no water is used in my MES40.
But I had an old Brinkmann electric bullet smoker that required water to keep the temperature under control.
I never use water in my old brinkmann grill/smoker (weighs a ton! made of boilerplate) but I only use this smoker for high heat things like wings, steaks, pork steaks, etc.

Trial and error sounds like the right approach to me.

Personally, I like the smoked flavor better when no water is used in my MES40.
But I had an old Brinkmann electric bullet smoker that required water to keep the temperature under control.
I never use water in my old brinkmann grill/smoker (weighs a ton! made of boilerplate) but I only use this smoker for high heat things like wings, steaks, pork steaks, etc.

Exactly, Adding water to an MES can make the smoke taste bad.
Tried it 9 years ago, and haven't used water since.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky