Rookie Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rsruff1971

Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
Hi, my name is Rich. I am from York County Pa. and I decided to try my hand at smoking meats. All the kids are grown and I have a new job that allows for me to have more free time so I thought this might be a good way to keep busy.
I was eyeing up the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn at my local Lowes for $500 but I found one on the Facebook market place. I managed to get it at $130. It has some rough edges but rather than spend a huge hunk of money I wanted to hone my skills at a more economical level.
Probably the roughest part of this smoker was the cook chamber on the gas side. The mounting brackets for the gas tubes, tents and cooking grates were all worn away. I ran out to the hardware store and bought some pieces of angled steel and fastened them where the original was worn away and now every thing is sitting in there just right.
I attached some pics of the work.
I am very excited to check in periodically and read some posts and I will also post pics of what I am able to produce with my "new to me" smoker.
20210321_135711.jpg
20210320_110416.jpg
20210321_135433.jpg
20210321_135609.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
welcome to the place - you have arrived. get that sucker cleaned up and post up some smoked products! welcome from Utah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky