Roll Call

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello (again) everyone!

I discovered Texas BBQ when I lived in Austin about thirty years ago and used to go to Poke-e-Joe's frequently. Since then I've spent a lot of time in Raleigh and discovered NC BBQ but I'm not so keen on the BBQ sauce from that part of the world. On a business trip to Overland Park, KS, I had burnt ends at Jack Stack and they were so delicious!

I've been BBQ'ing myself for years on a Cypriot Foukou rotisserie barbecue. I mainly cook pork souvla in the Greek style but also chicken and even goose over charcoal.

I've recently bought an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to cooking outdoors for the summer. So far, I have made pork belly burnt ends (Malcolm Reed's recipe) and Meathead's Last Meal Ribs.  All came out absolutely first class.

I have pimped my WSM somewhat and it just gets better and better!

Thanks for reading this!

Reactions: martyn c
hello all. i found the smoking forum from a facebook link that was pushed over to me. from there i found the uk side of it.  sorry boss but when i first saw the americian side front page i discounted the forum, i appoligise for that one.

any waay i am a fifty year old newbie, i have never done anything other than burn sausages and frozen cheap and nasty burgers ontop of self lighting petrol filled charcoal bricks and never enjoyed any of it ever.

a friend recently gave me a very grotty old lift shelf type charcoal grill with a lid and that started me on the slippery slope towards bbq  heaven.

i still only have that grill and its a small one at that but suits the two person cooking i want to do.

i do have a decent bag of charcoal to go in it and a couple of small lumps of oak blocks to go in with those as well.

i would like to get a seperate smoke box bbq but at the moment we mainly grill every thing and have not the equipment to go slow and low

as a newbie i wont be spending out on any thing just yet, rubs and sauces will be small quantity home made ones and i wont be buying any million pound bbqs for a while yet as i dont know what i want from it or the different styles.

as for future posts for now i shall wander off and start in the search button sections and do some research and then come back once i know what i want to get.

burnt offerings for now pete

Hello (again) everyone!

I discovered Texas BBQ when I lived in Austin about thirty years ago and used to go to Poke-e-Joe's frequently. Since then I've spent a lot of time in Raleigh and discovered NC BBQ but I'm not so keen on the BBQ sauce from that part of the world. On a business trip to Overland Park, KS, I had burnt ends at Jack Stack and they were so delicious!

I've been BBQ'ing myself for years on a Cypriot Foukou rotisserie barbecue. I mainly cook pork souvla in the Greek style but also chicken and even goose over charcoal.

I've recently bought an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to cooking outdoors for the summer. So far, I have made pork belly burnt ends (Malcolm Reed's recipe) and Meathead's Last Meal Ribs.  All came out absolutely first class.

I have pimped my WSM somewhat and it just gets better and better!

Thanks for reading this!
Hi David. Welcome to the forum from another Kent smoker 
icon14.gif

hello all. i found the smoking forum from a facebook link that was pushed over to me. from there i found the uk side of it.  sorry boss but when i first saw the americian side front page i discounted the forum, i appoligise for that one.

any waay i am a fifty year old newbie, i have never done anything other than burn sausages and frozen cheap and nasty burgers ontop of self lighting petrol filled charcoal bricks and never enjoyed any of it ever.

a friend recently gave me a very grotty old lift shelf type charcoal grill with a lid and that started me on the slippery slope towards bbq  heaven.

i still only have that grill and its a small one at that but suits the two person cooking i want to do.

i do have a decent bag of charcoal to go in it and a couple of small lumps of oak blocks to go in with those as well.

i would like to get a seperate smoke box bbq but at the moment we mainly grill every thing and have not the equipment to go slow and low

as a newbie i wont be spending out on any thing just yet, rubs and sauces will be small quantity home made ones and i wont be buying any million pound bbqs for a while yet as i dont know what i want from it or the different styles.

as for future posts for now i shall wander off and start in the search button sections and do some research and then come back once i know what i want to get.

burnt offerings for now pete
Hi Pete

It is always best to start out slowly. The two things I would suggest that you invest in first are:
  • A Weber 57cm Kettle BBQ (or equivalent. This is great for grilling and also for low and slow smoking too. The Weber has excellent temperature control and is a good size for 2 people.
  • A twin probe digital thermometer - maybe an ET-732. These really help you to keep manage your BBQ cooking.
Cheers

Wade

p.s. The ET-732s do to taste very good when they are smoked !!!

Hi,
I'm martin, I live near a small town called Bourne in LINCOLNSHIRE.

I have been bbqing for many years but smoking is a new venture, I went straight in the deep end with a Oklahoma joe, which I have been furiously modifying.

2nd cook this weekend with some ribs for a Father's Day BBQ. And I have a brisket and butt on order from T&G.

Looking forward to picking your brains as I make my mistakes.....

M.

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but you can buy that charcoal in bookers for the same price!

And know minimum order quantities.

I was going to get a bag today but wasn't sure of the quality, I've been using big k up till now, how does it compare?

We just need someone else from Kent and we will have a quorum 
biggrin.gif

Hi, 

New to the group (and whole forum).

I'm David, live just outside Bristol in a town few people have heard of but with a famous neighbour. 

I have a Bradley digital smoker, (a gift for my 50th), which seemed the right choice for a lazy man like me. Done a few things in it so aware of its drawbacks but have had some very pleasant results so far.

I'm also into meat curing and have built my own curing chamber which I'm having fun keeping the humidity levels right on in our current 'summer' weather.

Always open to advice and suggestions and constantly looking for good recipes for both smoking and curing and looking forward to seeing the discussions going on in here.

We just need someone else from Kent and we will have a quorum 
biggrin.gif
Another new member from Kent here!! :)

I've signed up having been pointed in this direction by none other than Wade!

I'm Scott, I'm a beginner in the world of smoking having done a two day course last year run by Wade and having had my eyes opened to world of low and slow and the joys of smoking.

I got myself a Callow smoker earlier in the  year and have been dabbling since then with a view to doing a lot more with it as the summer rolls on.

I'm using a ThermoPro TP-08 for my temperatures and am considering also picking up a Inkbird IBT-2X to allow me to measure additional meats.

Hi Scott - Good to see you and welcome to the forum. I am glad that you were inspired on the course 
icon14.gif
. Looking forward to seeing posts of some of your cooks. Don't forget that we like lots of photos...

You are only jealous Steve because you failed the entrance exam 
roflmao.gif

Hi all
Really pleased to have found this group! I'm from Birmingham uk and am a huge fan of smoked food, I bought myself a basic Brinkman charcoal smoker a few years ago and have made some nice food with it, but I always fail with low and slow pieces like pulled pork and brisket, always way too dry and burnt, I have very little spare time due to work and family commitments and have been looking into electric smokers for convenience but not sure which way to turn, I know my prep work needs improving but I'm not sure where to start

Hi Tomtit, first of all welcome to the UK Group.

I do not own or used the type of smoker you are talking about, but, it's seems to me that you are having trouble keeping a steady temperature.

When you cook you Pork and Brisket, what temperature are you running at? Are you using the fitted temperature gauge.

Are you taking the IT (internal temperature) of the meat to see if it's cooked, or are you cooking to a time?

All the questions will help us, to get you cooking perfect meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky