Roll Call - Mike H

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hecklar56

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hey Gang-

Was going to post some pics of my first jerky, but figured I'd just combine that with a post to introduce myself.

I live in the NW Chicago Suburbs, 45yo, work in Health Care. Wife and 2 kids (4g/6b). My old gas grill crapped out, so started looking at the pellet grills but ended up going with a smaller gas grill for some quick everyday use (saving a little cash on the gas grill) and also got an MES 40 G1 smoker. Love it so far. Have done chuck roast (came out too smoky, learned my lesson), ribs (they were a little dry, again lesson learned there), and yesterday did jerky. Jerky/snack sticks are the 'genre' of smoking in which I'm most interested.

So here's what I did for the jerky:

London Broil (had it in the freezer, about $4.50/lb at Sams). We defrosted it and then I decided to make jerky.
Threw in freezer 1h to stiffen it up, sliced against the grain.
IMG-0447.jpg

Soy/Worstershire/Sriacha/Lime, marinate (flipping frequently) for 4 hrs (will go longer next time).
IMG-0448.jpg

Dabbed it all nice n dry, then sprinkled it with red pepper flakes and patted it down again.
Spread it out on the rack. Heated MES 40 to 160. 1.5hr at 160, crank up to 200, add handful chips in drawer.
Keep at 200 till smoking ceases, back to 170 for another few hours (I'd be more precise but I was not only
cooking this but the rest of the steak and some chicken thighs on the gas grill....oh, and I got fairly sauced).
My guess at total cook time is probably 3.5-4 hrs (was only 1.5 lbs).
IMG-0631.jpg

Finished product. DELICOUS. Perhaps a tiny bit dry, but really great stuff. So Proud!
jerky_finished.jpg

Guess what I'm doing all day this coming Sunday? JEKRYTHON.

Any tips/feedback/recommendations/thoughts?

Thanks again for this great resource y'all have built.

Cheers!

Mike

Welcome aboard. Jerky looks pretty dang good from here. If it got too dry, maybe back off on the time. I've learned when doing mine to take it off while it's still pliable. It seems that once it cools it stiffens up. Just my 2 cents from what I've learned...

Reactions: hecklar56
Thanks for the welcome and replies!!

What a great into. I got a suggestion - Jerky in one hand and a cold adult beverage in the other. Best combo ever! Good looking jerky & welcome from Lake Texoma.

Reactions: hecklar56
Nice product!

Welcome from another Minnesotan currently enjoying some Florida sunshine

My experience is always something to adjust for next time. More or less brine, with or cross grain, more or less smoke, more or less drying time.

Look into getting one of the A-Maze-N products to create and control the smoke in both your MES and gas grill.

Nice product!

Welcome from another Minnesotan currently enjoying some Florida sunshine

My experience is always something to adjust for next time. More or less brine, with or cross grain, more or less smoke, more or less drying time.

Look into getting one of the A-Maze-N products to create and control the smoke in both your MES and gas grill.
Was sure to grab an A-Maze-N, for the next batch will use for sure. Like you said, so many factors in play!

A Big Howdy and Welcome from Beautiful East Texas

Jerky looks Great

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky