"Roast beef" in the oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phantom krankor

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hey guys/girls,

The parents are wanting to do a roast beef type dish for Christmas. If it was me I'd smoke it, but they dont have a smoker, so wanted to see if you all had some recipes/tricks for an oven roasted beef roast type. Im open to any type of cut, preparation, so any and all ideas would be great.

I did some searching but didn't come up with a lot of non smoke options (which makes sense because of the website name)

Heck, even other recipe links that look good to you would be great.

Thanks!

Hey guys/girls,

The parents are wanting to do a roast beef type dish for Christmas. If it was me I'd smoke it, but they dont have a smoker, so wanted to see if you all had some recipes/tricks for an oven roasted beef roast type. Im open to any type of cut, preparation, so any and all ideas would be great.

I did some searching but didn't come up with a lot of non smoke options (which makes sense because of the website name)

Heck, even other recipe links that look good to you would be great.

Thanks!
Are you wanting to do it the same day?. If not you could smoke it before hand for them and then just reheat the next day or two.

Reactions: phantom krankor
can't go wrong with prime rib. I would start it in the oven 475-500 for 1/2 hour or so to get a nice crust then turn heat down to 300 until you achieve the internal temp your looking for. i'm sure you'll get more suggestions though.

Reactions: chopsaw

Hey,
Probably same day, they want to do the cooking. :)
I understand. Another option if you want the smoke flavor is to cold smoke over night if your temps allow for it. I fill my AMNPS and let it roll over night. I do this with Chuck roasts all the time. Then I just throw it in the crock pot when I get up in the morning before I go to work. Like I said if your temps allow for it you could do that the night before and then they can cook it in the oven.

Hey, appreciate the quick replies, and the link to the other post! I'll pick up some prime rib this weekend and will post some pics once we get cooking. (Not saying I'm still not looking for more ideas though)

My personal best success has been a standing rib roast I heat the oven to 500 degrees and put that roast in for 5 minutes per pound. Then I turn off the heat and allow the roast to ride the heat as the oven cools over time. I use my thermometer from the smoker to tell when it hits medium rare. That’s when I pull the roast to rest tented under foil. It’s very simple but incredibly delicious. I generally will bake some big potatoes alongside the roast. If you like beef, you just can’t go wrong with this choice.

G

If you are thinking of doing a oven roasted prime rib, I would slugged the reverse sear method. I have done it many times for the family and it always comes out perfect. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

I too use this method with great results. BUT, the Rest is Very important! My first try, I Roasted at 250 to an IT of 120°F. I only rested until the oven reached 500°F, about 10 minutes. I put the meat in and removed when it got a nice Crust and Color, about 10 minutes more. As it sat on the counter I became Horrified as I watched the IT rise to 160!!!! Never made That mistake again...JJ

We roast bottom round/rump roasts (normal 2½# -3# size found in most meat dept's) all the time just for the two of us, eat a hot meal, then cool and slice the rest the next day for sandwiches or sliced roast beef in gravy over noodles as a meal. 375° for about 1.5 hours or until internal hits 135°, rest and slice about half of it, saving the other half for the meat slicer the next day. We make gravy out of the drippings over mashed or boiled potatoes and a vegetable, completing the meal!

Hey all, thanks for all the replies. Great community here! All the methods look legit, but I'll outline what I did for future reference.
(Trigger warning, my parents don't like lots of red in their meat, so don't expect super rare)

I went to the local butcher, and I ended up with some Wagyu Tri-tip, about 2.25 lb.

Put on some SPOG and a dash of EVOO.

20191223_110656.jpg

Started at 375, but after 20 minutes bumped it up to 425 F.

Reached 145 IT after 75 minutes. There was probably some carryover, but the results were great!

20191223_123916.jpg

Let cool for 15 minutes or so, and sliced thin

Made a horseradish sauce with some dijon mustard, horseradish, mayo, and Worcestershire.

20191223_124726.jpg

Delicious! Very moist , tender.

If I did it again, I would probably bump the temperature up a little more, maybe 450, or do an actual sear/reverse sear to crisp up the fat layer a little bit more.

Have a good Christmas/new years everyone, and again, thanks for all the comments!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky