Ribs & My first Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

osbjdawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Meadville, PA
Doing some ribs and my first pork butt today.  I've done ribs many times so that's no problem, but this butt is something new.  I've read a lot on here so I should be alright.  If not I'll be asking.

I'll be posting pics as I go.

967de21e_IMG_0363.jpg

8f344a08_IMG_0364.jpg

c59cfc99_IMG_0367.jpg

Rubbed & Ready

More to come soon.

Started off a little rough. Temp dropped to 175.  Trying to keep it @ 225.

All good now.

f8e426f7_IMG_0373.jpg

225*

67a5fa8b_IMG_0374.jpg

1hr.   (know not to peek, just had to.)

Just got stung by a bee.   Guess I shouldn't peak... That's my punishment. 

Having a hard time with my temp.  Never had this prob.  Guess it happens.

Osbjdawg,
police2.gif
,peeking huh
icon_question.gif
  Well,they look good anyhow;
drool.gif
 Let you off with a warning this time
biggrin.gif

Have fun and...

Thanks for just a warning!  Now we got rain and storms moving in.  It will be my first time smokin' in the rain. BUTT the show must go on!!!!

I'm getting ready to foil the ribs. I usually use apple juice, but my son drank it all this morning.   Any other suggestions?   I was thinking beer, cuz that's what I got in my hand. Only other option  is root beer, or iced tea.

From my experience any type of soda or juice will work. Heck beer will work to. Or a lot of time I don't put anything. When I coat them in brown sugar, butter and honey in the foil I don't add any liquid at all because those ingredients will make lots of liquid in there.

From my experience any type of soda or juice will work. Heck beer will work to. Or a lot of time I don't put anything. When I coat them in brown sugar, butter and honey in the foil I don't add any liquid at all because those ingredients will make lots of liquid in there.

Thanks for the help.  I added just a touch of iced tea, maybe 1/8 of a cup. We'll see..

Butt is @ 177* .  I didn't foil it.  What is a good temp to take it off?  gonna pull it.  190*?,  200*?

200-205. Check it with a toothpick or your temp probe in a few places.

When they go in with no resistance it's ready.

just a quick update..

Butt is warming up.

Temp on the smoke was 257*  Didn't a quick peak would hurt.  Wanna cool it down.

We'll see.

Thanks to everyone foe the advise!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky