Ribs..... I think I forgot how

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Howdy Everyone.... It has been awhile since I smoked some ribs and today was the day. I was wondering if I remembered how to do it. I had three racks in the freezer so out they came and sprinkled with a couple of rubs:

I like to use Big Ron's original rub and Sweet Money from Big Poppas.
IMG_4059.JPG

Started up a full chimney of Royal Oak just to heat up the smoker. Is this the Thin Blue???
IMG_4057.JPG

Once they heated up and brought the smoker up to temp, I tossed on some hickory and apple:
IMG_4066.JPG

On went the ribs.
IMG_4060.JPG

Had a bit of trouble controlling temp, but I moved one of the baffle plates and got it to settle down a bit:
IMG_4063.JPG

If your looking, you aren't cooking....... I looked:
IMG_4068.JPG

My buddy guarding the smoker. The WSM is just something to keep her away from the firebox.
IMG_4061.JPG

Ribs Done:
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG

Still guarding the ribs... IMG_4071.JPG

I have never tried to wrap my ribs. Ran them for 4 hrs and 20 min. Overall, I would say they were good, not great... A smidge over done (fall off the bone) and a little dry, at least the ones we had for a yummy dinner. I think I can conclude that I do remember the overall process but I have to re-learn some of the finer points. Dang, I will have to smoke some more ribs. Wife says I need to try and wrap them, just to see how they come out.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy

Howling Dog (Mark)

Good looking smoker and Dog. I tried unwrapped few times without any luck. Usually end up in the pressure cooker next day. I have had GSD all my life. My girl is 12 now.

Looks pretty good from my desk chair. Looks like the guard dog is doing a good job of watching the ribs!
Jim

Great looking ribs, and I love your dog. Had one a few years back that looked just like yours!
Al

Looks yummy. We never wrap ribs, just smoke and let ‘em go. Usually about 5 hours. We look at how the meat pulls from the bone ends

Nice! I was wondering what to have tomorrow. I have a rack of spares in the freezer....
What smoker is that? I'm thinking about retiring the horizontal offset and going with a vertical like that.

Looking Good!!!
I quit buying BabyBacks at least 5 years ago, due to high prices.
Only ever get Spares & Beef Ribs.
Your Ribs look to be the safest Ribs there ever was!!
Like.

Bear

Nice post. Like you humor.
I also like bite through not fall off the bone.
Eh, you will get it next time.
The dog is hilliarious.

John

Thank you all for the nice comments. This is why I like this forum, great people sharing!! It was a fun cook and I want to do more smoking. Just got lazy, and got a dog. I will have to make a Costco run to get some spares. I have never done those before. I tend to find something we like and stay there. Time to expand my horizons.

She is a good dog. Still a puppy at 20 months old. Mostly full grown but has kept her puppy brain. She is known as The Kraken!!!! She is our first working lines GSD and I have learned more about GSDs than the previous 4 and working in rescue for years. The drive in her is amazing and unrelenting. She is a challenge, and a great companion. IMG_2770.JPG

What smoker is that? I'm thinking about retiring the horizontal offset and going with a vertical like that.
It is an "offset vertical" I built a number of years ago. We have a smallish backyard so this is a little more compact than a horizontal. No welding, all drilling and bolted it together. Here are a couple pics of the build:
The finished product:
12 24 10 067.jpg
In Progress:
9 12 10 060.jpg
It is insulated, double wall I think 8 or 10 gauge steel:
9 12 10 013.jpg
12 24 10 036.jpg

Firebox is 1/4 inch. Had to devise a transition to the chamber.
12 24 10 024.jpg

It was a fun build. Broke some tools, bought more than I broke.... I am still learning it years later and I learned something yesterday even.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Mark

Reactions: SmokyMose
I'd eat'em!
BB's are comparatively lean and finish pretty quickly once the pull back starts.
Had a bit of trouble controlling temp, but I moved one of the baffle plates and got it to settle down a bit:
You might want to consider adding a top vent on your firebox. This facilitates air transfer to the CC without stoking the fire, lets it "breathe".

1649002650111.png

Thanks Motocrash. Interesting. I will look into that.

That's a looking build on that smoker, and a even better looking pooch, gorgeous! I traded in my offset a year ago for a 26" kettle, didn't wrap then and I don't wrap now, kettle is easy to control in the desert heat. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky