RIB'S, 2 Ways, Singles and Slab. ( Potato Loaf , needs work )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
RIB'S, 2 Ways, Singles and Slab. ( Potato Loaf , needs work )

I normally would not do this many ribs for just me and the Misses , had company on the list . Canceled in the morning so I
thought , no problem. try some side by side comparisons .
Had a recipe from an old book I have been going through, " Browned Potato Loaf " sounds easy enough. More on that in a bit.

So 2 slabs of pork side ribs, ( trimmed and saved as now I have my new grinder )
1 ) cut into individual ribs
1 ) left as slab cut in half to fit on one rack in smoker
ribs on sale so grabbed 5 packs $ 1.99 pound

DSC_6320.JPG DSC_6323.JPG

Coated them all in Jeffs TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Original Rub From the Christmas Exchange box he sent me, than in the fridge for 2 hours

DSC_6324.JPG DSC_6325.JPG

DSC_6327.JPG

Smoker rolling at approx 240 -250 deg. with Mesquite. Outside temp is -9 C ( 15 F ) Thank god for the Smokers Shack today because with the wind .... BURRRRRR
In for 2 hours , than wrapped for 1 1/2 hours. Than unwrapped hour an hour and bumped the temp to 350 Deg. The singles except for 2 went in tray with a bottle of my Apple Butter
and left the slabs just naked with just Jeff's rub on them. ( the 2 ribs were for the comparison test )

DSC_6328.JPG DSC_6329.JPG DSC_6330.JPG

DSC_6331.JPG DSC_6332.JPG DSC_6333.JPG

DSC_6336.JPG DSC_6338.JPG DSC_6339.JPG
It was cool in the Shack, as you can see from the steam. About 38 F going by my Inkbird.

DSC_6340.JPG

So while the ribs are doing their last run in the smoker, I will get to the potato Loaf

So found this recipe ( out of a very old book I have ) and it seemed simple It is called Browned Potato Loaf, You make a roux than add 1 cup of milk , stir until thickening than add potatoes and keep stirring until stiff. Than turn into a loaf pan. Into the fridge for the night.

Now back to the plan, did this the day before as thought it would be good for the company ( glad they was a no show , ha ha )
It is called Browned so I thought the roux would turn it brown, no it did not . So than I thought maybe it will brown in the over for 45 minutes +/-
No it did not . It came out of the pan right and added the cheese like it said . but did not set after cooking like I thought it would.
The recipe was a little vague, so that just means I will play with this until I get what I want it to do.

So I made it Browned by slicing and frying it , it was good but not what my mind had pictured

DSC_6317.JPG DSC_6318.JPG
DSC_6319.JPG

Out of the overnight stay in the fridge, onto a tray for the over, top with cheddar

DSC_6341.JPG DSC_6342.JPG

Made a quick side salad with shredded Honeydew and tomatoes, loaf out of the oven, still looking for the Browned, lol

DSC_6343.JPG DSC_6346.JPG

Ribs are done and into the house

DSC_6344.JPG

DSC_6345.JPG

DSC_6347.JPG

DSC_6349.JPG DSC_6350.JPG

So for the taste test Jeff's rub is very good, Mona found it a bit too spicy for her , I enjoyed it .

I do have to say Slab ribs are a good show glazed or just rubbed , But singles gather more smoke and more flavour because of more real estate is to be covered.
That is just my way of thinking and tastings.

Like I said I made it Browned by slicing and frying in CI pan.

DSC_6351.JPG

DSC_6352.JPG

The Apple Butter on the singles were fantastic , the sweet of the butter and the flavour of Jeff's rub, very nice combo.
The Potato loaf is going back to the Lab for more testing ,lol
The shredded Honeydew and diced tomato , very refreshing and sweet from the honeydew

Thanks for hanging in to the end.

David

Attachments

• DSC_6322.JPG
    DSC_6322.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6326.JPG
    DSC_6326.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6334.JPG
    DSC_6334.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6335.JPG
    DSC_6335.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6337.JPG
    DSC_6337.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_6348.JPG
    DSC_6348.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 9
awesome looking meal!! your ribs look so good!! and the potato loaf sounds like it should be great too, keep on experimenting and let us know what happens! thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
awesome looking meal!! your ribs look so good!! and the potato loaf sounds like it should be great too, keep on experimenting and let us know what happens! thanks for sharing this!
Thanks for the like and the comment

Always love a good feed of ribs , no matter how they are done
But really like the singles. more smoke and flavour of what ever is used , rub, or glaze etc

The loaf recipe is off to the lab for more testing

David

Excellent job on the ribs. When I have people over for ribs, I will usually smoke them in two bone or three bone segments. As you said, they have more smoke flavor. I have done them as singles but can't put 3 racks on, takes up too much space.

Excellent job on the ribs. When I have people over for ribs, I will usually smoke them in two bone or three bone segments. As you said, they have more smoke flavor. I have done them as singles but can't put 3 racks on, takes up too much space.

thanks for the like and the comment

It was fun to do and more surface area , more flavour to be had ,lol

A big slab of ribs is very good looking , but for flavours , chop than smoke , just me

David

Reactions: Nefarious
Looks fantastic! Very intrigued by the potato loaf, don't think I've seen that before. Nice post!

CTX for the like and the comment

Meal was very good and the side by side test of the ribs was good.

And yes I also was intrigued when I read the recipe now it is off to the testing kitchen
to see what I did wrong or what they left out of the recipe, lol

David

Looks good David . Color on the ribs is money , and great job on trimming .
I've been messing with rib singles , and think I have a method down . Need to do it again and see .
You're onto something with that loaf . I'll do leftover mash as cakes for breakfast . I mix in potato starch to bind and helps it brown .
Nice work bud .

It all looks good David! I love ribs! Need to try those singles...it's on the list! Look forward to seeing how your potato loaf comes along! Now I want some taters and a good brown gravy!

Ryan

Looks good David . Color on the ribs is money , and great job on trimming .
I've been messing with rib singles , and think I have a method down . Need to do it again and see .
You're onto something with that loaf . I'll do leftover mash as cakes for breakfast . I mix in potato starch to bind and helps it brown .
Nice work bud .

Thanks Rich for the comment

Thanks about the trimming, now that I have a good reason to keep all my cut offs ( new grinder ) lol

The ribs did have a nice colour to them , and yes I'm into the single cuts right now , mostly because of better cook and over all flavours

As for the loaf , I think something is missing from the recipe , but will try it again by the recipe , than if it does not work I will start spinning with it .

David

It all looks good David! I love ribs! Need to try those singles...it's on the list! Look forward to seeing how your potato loaf comes along! Now I want some taters and a good brown gravy!

Ryan

Thank Ryan for the like and the comment

I'm in for ribs anyway they are done
As for the potato loaf, I am going to run with it until I figure out what is wrong with it.

Was going to do a gravy with it but , it was mostly about the ribs yesterday, lol

David

Interesting idea on the potato filling, David. It will be interesting to see that old recipe evolve. I grew up on something called Stoverags or Lokshe. It was basically leftover mashed potatoes combined with flour, kneaded into a dough and then rolled out thin like a tortilla. Browned on both sides, brushed with copious amounts of browned butter and rolled up and eaten.

The ribs look great too. I love the apple butter idea on the ribs. I’m gonn try that since I have AB on hand at all times here at the house.

Nicely done!

Very nice cook David! That is a spread that I would be all smiles about!

FYI, I have been gravitating to 3 or 4 bone sections for ribs and honestly I really prefer having 2 end ribs for every serving just more bark flavor all around and your comments are not making me want to do whole ones ever again….

Last edited:
Interesting idea on the potato filling, David. It will be interesting to see that old recipe evolve. I grew up on something called Stoverags or Lokshe. It was basically leftover mashed potatoes combined with flour, kneaded into a dough and then rolled out thin like a tortilla. Browned on both sides, brushed with copious amounts of browned butter and rolled up and eaten.

The ribs look great too. I love the apple butter idea on the ribs. I’m gonn try that since I have AB on hand at all times here at the house.

Nicely done!

Thanks Joe for the like and the comment

I love the idea and name of stove rags, and yes i am going to try the recipe the way it is written one more time , if that does not change than I will start to play with it for myself.

I am also a fan of the apple butter, and was good with the combo of Jeff's rub

David

Very nice cook David! That is a spread that I would be all smiles about!

FYI, I have been gravitating to 3 or 4 bone sections for ribs and honestly I really prefer having 2 end ribs for every serving just more bark flavor all around and your comments are not making me want to do while ones ever again….

Thanks civil for the like and the comment

It was a good spread, normally I would not cook up that much for the 2 of us .

Slabs take up less room on the grills ,and easier to flip and handle ,
but the singles have more surface area but take up more room on the grills
For now I have been doing them as singles.

So I am happy with ribs almost anyway they are done, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

David

Reactions: civilsmoker
Phenomenal thread David as per usual. Just top notch all the way! I have been wanting to try the single rib smoke for a while and think you just pushed me over the edge!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky