Rib tips advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQrookie71

Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Hey guys!

I've been reading a lot on here the past few months and figured it was time to join to learn more, and hopefully one day contribute.

I'm doing my second smoke ever this weekend my new Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Combo (already eyeing up full horizontal offsets on Craigslist, don't tell the wife!).

I'm gonna grab 2 racks of spare ribs, trim St Louis style and start with the 3-2-1 method. Using Jeff's original rub & sauce recipes. My question is what's the best process to cook the rib tips?

I've had trouble finding a complete "recipe" for them but have seen people mention various ways.

Lay the full rib tips slab on the grate, rubbed the same as the ribs, and leave on for 4-5 hours?

Rub the tips the same as ribs and cut individually, then place on grate?

Foil them at any point?

Sauce them the last 30 mins on the grate or sooner in a pan like burnt ends?

I'm planning on eating half of the tips since I've never tried them before and using the other half in baked beans, but I've heard the horror stories about the rib tips never making it into the house, so we'll let destiny decide that

Any advice is much appreciated!

Reactions: SonnyE
Sounds like you're heading for some fun man.

I don't bother cutting my spares....I cook them as they come.

Rub and duration before cooking is a personal preference (ribs done with no rub or salt, smoke only, are actually really tasty too). As far as time on the smoker, I aim for something like this my self:

-3 hours @ 220-240
-Foil for 1-2 hours (and I make the foil seals air tight..like get both sides and fold them over with little folds three times or so - you want zero evaporation - I saw recently that a respected member here uses butcher paper for a wrap, but I personally think that a wrap that "breathes" is defeating the point of the wrap because the whole goal is to stop evaporation, but maybe it is open for debate)
-Then open all vents, unfoil, get the smoker as hot as possible (if you can get 350 that's great). Smoke at least until your bark stiffens up a little. I personally go all the way until I can twist a bone out because I like mine FOTB, but a lot of people like more "tooth" and would consider my ribs overdone. To each their own. If you skip the wrap, in my experience, you'll get a lot more tooth.

Hey guys!

I've been reading a lot on here the past few months and figured it was time to join to learn more, and hopefully one day contribute.

I'm doing my second smoke ever this weekend my new Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Combo (already eyeing up full horizontal offsets on Craigslist, don't tell the wife!).

I'm gonna grab 2 racks of spare ribs, trim St Louis style and start with the 3-2-1 method. Using Jeff's original rub & sauce recipes. My question is what's the best process to cook the rib tips?

I've had trouble finding a complete "recipe" for them but have seen people mention various ways.

Lay the full rib tips slab on the grate, rubbed the same as the ribs, and leave on for 4-5 hours?

Rub the tips the same as ribs and cut individually, then place on grate?

Foil them at any point?

Sauce them the last 30 mins on the grate or sooner in a pan like burnt ends?

I'm planning on eating half of the tips since I've never tried them before and using the other half in baked beans, but I've heard the horror stories about the rib tips never making it into the house, so we'll let destiny decide that

Any advice is much appreciated!

Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums!

I'm electric smoker, but gas pipe Barby.
I recently did a rack of Baby Back Ribs with extra meat (Loin?) with the 3,2,1, method and was shocked at how great they came out. 1st time for me with the method.
3 Hours of Smokin, at 225° setting (This setting used throughout the process). I think I put some of my home made rub on. :confused:
2 Hours Sauced, and wrapped in foil. My doctored up Sweet Baby Rays
1 Hour Unwrapped. That created a nice caramelized finish that wasn't wet.
It was Fall off the bone wonderful! Half a rack, home fries, green beans... I was stuffed!

I realize you are a stick burner, but wanted to testify to the 3,2,1 Method. I'd bet your Q comes out great if you are somewhere close to the method I followed.
Enjoy! ;)

Reactions: BBQrookie71
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky