Rib Smoke Problem - need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnm160

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Hi Gang,

I have a rack of ribs in the GOSM, it has been running for about an hour now. I have some maple chips that I soaked in water for about 45 minutes in the chip box. All was going well had TBS for most if this time with temps about 240. I just went back out to check it again and I have smoke billowing out of this thing. I opened the door and checked the chips and they still seemed to look ok, not burnt out or anything, no fire.

I have the vents on the bottom open about half way and the top is open about 3/4. I also have a full water pan. I normally have the lower vents a little more closed then they are now but I opened them up to try to thin the smoke out a little more.

What do you think is happening?

Always have your exhaust wide open. Regulate your temps by using the intake air damper. I agree, it sounds like smoldering coals. I run a horizontal offset, and I keep a raging fire going in the firebox. I know that is different than your GOSM. Matbe another GOSM user will happen along soon.

Thanks for the advise.

After my first post I went back and checked the woodbox again. all that was left of the chips was small black coals, maybe they got too much air when I looked in on them. I dumped them and put in more maple. I started getting smoke again so I just went and set the dampers how you said.

This is the first time I am smoking with any wind blowing, can that be causing the problem? Also is my first time using maple but I doubt that makes a difference.

Smoke was coming out of the lower vents as well as from around the door and thermo. This is what makes me think the wind is playing a part in the problem. I just dont want to ruin my ribs.
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif

John

Thanks Chris, I will let ya know what happens in a little bit, I just never had it smoke up on me like this before.

Thanks for the help guys,

Here is what she is doing now.

Did you preburn or are you using charcoal? Still a little off, give it some more time, it should thin out some more. As long as you don't have unseasoned wood in there the temp of the wood should equalize and the smoke will thin out.

I just dumped fresh wood chips in the box and let er rip. So your saying the wood has to get up to temp before it settles down?

I seems to have settled down now. I increased the temp to about 245 and left the dampers set how everyone recommended and I now I can smell it but not see it. It also just started to rain.

Do you think I should try chunk instead of chips in this thing?

Now that's the way to show your situation!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I gotta figure out that UTube thing. Looks great kiddo! It can be tough when it windy to keep the smoke thin - to much air gets in. Can you construct a wind break? If it's not raining or snowing it can just be a cardboard box to block the wind. Just don't get it to close to the fire!

Hi Debi,

I have had that youtube account for a year and that is the first thing I ever put on it....HA HA.

I have no smoke now so I guess the second load of wood burn out. I did not soak those chips.

I am thinking they have probably had enough smoke though (2 1/2 hours) I would think that within the next half hour they should be ready to foil.

The way the wind was blowing I must have had an updraft, I never saw smoke come out of the bottom vents before.

I am planning on doing my first butt next weekend, Any special tips to make me the smoke god I am in my mind
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

John

Alright here is a little qview for you guys. These ribs do not have any sauce on them yet, just Jeff's rub. Look at how wet they look..

YUM!

Thanks again for the help.

John
3ae46835_vbattach15812.jpg

Just out of the foil, looking good.

They are really falling off the bone, I think next time I will shorten the foil time so they have a little more pull.

Almost time to sauce them.
4fbff3c1_vbattach15818.jpg

Damn John, if all the noobs could show their problems like that, life would be much easier!!
Don't change a thing, smoke looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Ribs look awesome, are those baby backs??
BB's usually go 2-2-1, that may be why your a lil overdone, keep that in mind and keep up the good work!!

Bubba, those are spare ribs, I went a little over the 3 with this rack since they were not pulling back from the bone before that.

Here they are on the table.

Now I just gotta eat them.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Then start planning next weekends butt.

John
b53004c5_vbattach15821.jpg

Well the ribs are gone and happy stomachs are all over the house. I will keep ya posted on how my butt is doing next week.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky