• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rib Glaze help?

sniltz

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2008
I am doing another competition this weekend and am looking for a good rib glaze. I know competition ribs are very sweet but, would like to find a good finishing glaze. Want to keep it simple while not over powering.

foamheart

RIP. Gone but never forgotten.
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
I am partial to maple anyway, and when Disco cooks people smile.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151369/first-bacon-on-a-stick

You might check out his glaze on a recent set of cured ribs. I have some ribs I just put in the cure, I am planing to try it myself.

Just a thought. If nothing else it might give you an inspiration of your own.

Last edited:

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

I am partial to maple anyway, and when Disco cooks people smile.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151369/first-bacon-on-a-stick

You might check out his glaze on a recent set of cured ribs. I have some ribs I just put in the cure, I am planing to try it myself.

Just a thought. If nothing else it might give you an inspiration of your own.
Foamheart is being kind. This is actually a ham glaze that I put on ribs for an experiment. We love it and I now use it frequently to please She Who Must Be Obeyed but it isn't traditional. If you use it at a competition, it is not a KC sauce, a St Louis sauce or a Carolina sauce, it is a Canadian Maple Syrup glaze so, while it tastes great, it will be different from what they are used to.

Disco

sniltz

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2008
I think I have a good glaze. I take my Western NC vinegar sauce and cattleman texas smokey bbq sauce and mix. That makes a good vinegary and sweet sauce then add a 1/4 cup of light karo syrup, 1/4 cup of apple jelly, and 1/4 cup of agave nectar. Heat to a simmer then place in a blender and blend well. Makes a good tangy, sweet sauce that coats good. Was just wandering if anyone else had a better one.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 12, 2011
Thanks Flyboys...I been using that one awhile. Does a nice job and with the addition of the Vinegar, Ketchup and Mustard will satisfy most folks. You can adjust the Sweet/Sour to your taste...JJ

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 21, 2011
I am partial to my sauce :). definitely sweet with a little something extra(it's the cinnamon)  

for competition you may want to tone down the amount honey and layer it a few times to build up to your taste.
[h2]  [/h2]
Jack Daniels Sweet and Tangy rib glaze
[h3]  [/h3]
Servings
1 bottle

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup JD
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1oz soy
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3 tbs worchestershire
  • 2 tbs apple Cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
place all ingredients into into a sauce pan. simmer until sauce is reduced to about half. 20 mins or so.

place contents into blender and mix 

let sit for 2 days before serving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.