• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rib Contest

goose2014

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Hello Smokers;

I'm entering my first rib contest in two weeks with my son and I have no idea how to make my plate for the presentation.

Would anyone be able to help me?

ie, what to put on the plaste so it looks great!

Goose2014

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I can't help you, but there are some guys on here who can.

I moved this to the General Discussion section.

I think you will get more replies there.

Al

betaboy

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 29, 2016
I've never done one myself so take this with a grain of salt, however what I have always seen is:

Ribs nicely sliced and laid on a bunch of curly parsley (stems tucked in/under) to make a nice little bed for the ribs to lay on.

That's about all the advice I can offer. Good luck, and hopefully someone else can chime in with better advice than mine!

gr0uch0

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 30, 2016
Bed of green kale is what I typically see.  Imparts no flavor (thus why I hate eating the stuff), it won't crush under the weight of the meat, and makes for a nice presentation.

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Do you actually get to use a plate or are they issuing you the competition boxes?

so ms smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 20, 2010
Lots of good ideas here. What you can use will mostly depend on who is running the competition. There should be a 'cooks meeting' to give the competitors all the rules and answer any questions. I know this doesn't help you come prepared or practice though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! Mike

gr0uch0

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 30, 2016
Welcome, goose. I like kale better since it doesn't wilt like parsley or leaf lettuce under the heat or the weight.

goose2014

Joined Jun 29, 2014
thanks SO MS Smoker;

I'm going in with an open mind and see what happens on my first try.  

I will try and post my picture of my plate or container at the rib contest.

Thanks again

Goose2014

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.