Rib adventure 2 ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I had a couple racks of St. Louis spares thawed out in the fridge so I decided it was time to try some new things with them I havent done before(one of them got a new rub, the other got a new Carolina Red mop recipe i found online). I got the UDS fired up with B&B briquettes, some hickory and cherry chunks, and held temps around 250 the whole cook (had a few swings).

I prepped the ribs with my new Victorinox 6" boning knife. It was an awesome knife. I plan to leave a review later on SMF. I squared them up nice and pulled the membrane.
20200526_183701.jpg

The thinner rack has Lambert sweet rub o mine (first time I tried it) and it will be a comp rib cook. The thicker rack had my bbq rub and its getting the Carolina Red mop.
20200524_204255.jpg

After 2 hours I wrapped the comp ribs with brown sugar and butter for 45 minutes. The mop ribs are taking a good color, and I did something I've NEVER done to a rack of ribs. I turned them meatside down for 45 minutes and mopped the back. I dont know what kind of difference it made, if any, but I'm up for trying other techniques.
20200524_225306.jpg

After I unwrapped the comp ribs I put my sauce on them and then back on the smoker for 30 minutes to let them tighten up. Then I tinted them on the counter for a 30 minute rest. I was pretty happy with the nice mahogany color.
20200526_184050.jpg

Decent smoke ring!
20200525_012153.jpg

Perfect bite through!
20200525_012205.jpg

After flipping the mop ribs back over I kept mopping off and on for the next couple hours until they were tender and had just enough bend to start pulling the meat apart.
20200524_234538.jpg

I tinted these on the counter, but I couldn't wait very long. They darkened up a lot but they were very tender.
20200525_011420.jpg

These had a nice color, and were pretty tender but not completely falling off the bone.
20200525_014010.jpg

All in all I was pretty happy with my rib adventures. The comp ribs with the Lamberts sweet rub o mine had a nice flavor but I prefer a little more heat. I'm glad i tried this rub. It will be in my seasoning arsenal for if I'm looking for a sweeter profile. The mop ribs had a nice flavor and texture. They were a little heavy on the acv flavor but that's my fault lol. I was mopping them pretty heavy and pretty often. But they were still very enjoyable. I'd mop another rack in the future but go a little lighter on the mop.

Needless to say, ribs are one of my favorite things to smoke. I love trying new recipes. What's you favorite ways to cook ribs?

Some good looking ribs there! Nice job. I like the bite on them, we don't care for them falling off the bone. We usually follow SmokinAl SmokinAl "Perfect ribs everytime " and just love them. Only difference is they turn out so good we don't even sauce them. Seen some dang good ribs done with no wrapping at all and want to try that also. Have also done Bearcarver Bearcarver recipe for bacon on a stick and they were awesome.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Both look very nice! I usually go with SmokinAls method also with no wrap and I usually do just dry rub. If I do sauce I usually take something like sweet baby rays and add some peach preserves to it, probably about half and half. Microwave to melt the preserves.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Both look very nice! I usually go with SmokinAls method also with no wrap and I usually do just dry rub. If I do sauce I usually take something like sweet baby rays and add some peach preserves to it, probably about half and half. Microwave to melt the preserves.
I've had some bbq sauce mixed with peach preserves one time. It was fantastic. I plan to try that on ribs and chicken sometime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky