Reverse Seared Prime NY w/Crawfish Cream Sauce!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I happened to go with the wife to Costco yesterday and these monster thick prime NY’s screamed at me……
6A854ABD-0528-41E5-AD80-39088A20F726.jpeg

Ran these in the RT 1250 @ 180 (super smoke) for about 2 hours till they hit INT 105….. they got nicely kissed with smoky goodness
9FA1D86A-7B4C-445E-9AC1-32E4A8B60EF4.jpeg

Now for the sear……on the Weber sear station, screaming hot fat side first….
DA53FDF3-5DAB-4EB1-B327-789782DF28BC.jpeg

Rotation 1…..
1315013B-8332-4000-A2BB-149DA6D5FF7B.jpeg

Missed rotation 2 but here is 3…..these were 2 min sear times……man oh man the sear station is HOT
80F2143B-0ED4-41E6-9721-D2B333422AE8.jpeg

Once all the sides were seared (INT 120) I transfer them to the upper rack to finish…..
613D2A4F-0CD0-4790-B1AE-76A3E728845A.jpeg

Pulled to rest @ INT 130…..oh man I can’t wait to cut into them!
19B8C1CE-07F4-4F23-A61D-14782E00DE33.jpeg

The boy did his magic searing on some baked Idaho russets we had left overs yesterday…..

18226DF7-C751-4CA0-A775-E8E840FE9BE1.jpeg

The wife made up a white wine cream sauce and finished it with some crawfish tails….(this was my boys idea for a sauce to the NYs)
E15508DF-4BE7-419B-831F-962804434A58.jpeg

Ok the slicing moment is finally here…….oh this brings tears to my eyes…..a perfect INT 135….
BD6F0ABE-1544-4277-9326-F323A72BA77B.jpeg

The slices all plated up…….
8E8B178E-FFBD-40D1-8D35-5B221186651A.jpeg

Father’s Day prep money!!!!
B0A56ACA-1182-4DD4-8C5C-968D8142B1FA.jpeg

Oh man there are those rare cooking sessions when the stars, planets, and the whole universe come together to create one of those unforgettable experiences…….well this plate experience will never be forgotten!!!! This was the best tasting textured piece of beef I have ever had…..I only hope to experience it again.

Man what to say other than AWESOME! Steak done perfectly and that sauce has to be decadent. Nice job

Man what to say other than AWESOME!! Steak done perfectly and that sauce has to be decadent!

Man what to say other than AWESOME! Steak done perfectly and that sauce has to be decadent. Nice job
Many thanks jcam! Yea it was 1000% better than Oscar……
Those are screaming at me, as well!! And that sauce...HECK YEAH...:emoji_thumbsup:All around excellent cook!!
Many thanks GS, it was a choir singing while eating!
I want to live in your universe Civil. That plate looks fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

Side bar: It looks like jcam222 jcam222 was so excited the double posted his reply!!! :emoji_laughing:
Thanks Chris, I’ll tell you I had a lot of excited double takes while consuming it!
It needed to be said twice LOL 😂
You can say it again…..I hope to have a cut like that twice too! Lol!

Nice all the way around civil… everything looks top notch! Man, I could down a plate like that anytime!

oh this brings tears to my eyes
Glad to know I'm not the only one with tears in my eyes. That meal looks absolutely amazing!! Seriously, that is one of the best cooks I've seen in my 10 years here. Beautiful aspect too is that it was a family endeavor. Gotta bet that the cream sauce was astonishing with the steaks!! Very nice my friend.

Robert

Glad to know I'm not the only one with tears in my eyes. That meal looks absolutely amazing!! Seriously, that is one of the best cooks I've seen in my 10 years here. Beautiful aspect too is that it was a family endeavor. Gotta bet that the cream sauce was astonishing with the steaks!! Very nice my friend.

Robert
Many thanks Robert, cooking as a family is our thing and surely makes things come together…. I just hope we can replicate it some day in the near future……

My wife texted me this after she read all the posts… she called it the little bit of this a little bit of that sauce…..

1 large shallot diced
My fav herb blend (fresh Italian parsley, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, chopped these fine then add dried oregano, garlic powder, a few red pepper flakes, kosher salt and pepper and chop mixture some more to get all blended together)
5 tbs butter
Sauté all of the above until shallots are tender then add 4 tbs flour and mix and cook in to make nice roux.
Slowly add in chicken broth and 1/2 cup white wine to desired thickness.
Add some old bay seasoning, garlic powder, better than bouillon veg base. Let simmer and cook down. Whip in 1 tbs butter and then add about 1/4 cup crème fraiche or more to desired creaminess. Add crawfish and cook until they are warm. Then finish off with salt and pepper.

Man this stuff was crazy good and now it’s inked in writing

My wife texted me this after she read all the posts… she called it the little bit of this a little bit of that sauce…..

1 large shallot diced
My fav herb blend (fresh Italian parsley, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, chopped these fine then add dried oregano, garlic powder, a few red pepper flakes, kosher salt and pepper and chop mixture some more to get all blended together)
5 tbs butter
Sauté all of the above until shallots are tender then add 4 tbs flour and mix and cook in to make nice roux.
Slowly add in chicken broth and 1/2 cup white wine to desired thickness.
Add some old bay seasoning, garlic powder, better than bouillon veg base. Let simmer and cook down. Whip in 1 tbs butter and then add about 1/4 cup crème fraiche or more to desired creaminess. Add crawfish and cook until they are warm. Then finish off with salt and pepper.

Man this stuff was crazy good and now it’s inked in writing

Please tell Mrs civil that this is most appreciated! Looking forward to trying that!

Reactions: civilsmoker
I absolutely love when you get that one piece of beef and it just comes out to complete perfection with tenderness texture and flavor. Nothing better. The crawfish cream sauce looks killer too.

Everything looks top notch! I'd take a double dose of the crawfish sauce, but I got to be married to the only coonass woman from Louisiana who hates shellfish lol.

Nice all the way around civil… everything looks top notch! Man, I could down a plate like that anytime!
Oh man it got devoured without words...... Thanks!
BTW, if you don’t mind sharing the sauce recipe… I would like very much to “borrow” it!
I missed your post, but the wife must have seen it.....Just know she just makes it up without measuring stuff.... hence the little of this and a little of that comment. I do believe the butter and flour are measured for the roux
I absolutely love when you get that one piece of beef and it just comes out to complete perfection with tenderness texture and flavor. Nothing better. The crawfish cream sauce looks killer too.
Thanks SVOL! Yea this was an unexpected happening, and why I keep cooking meat, just the hope of having an experience like it again! Oh and I killed the sauce....after the feast the wife was like we need to put t he left over sauce away....the boy and me were like it be GONE!
Everything looks top notch! I'd take a double dose of the crawfish sauce, but I got to be married to the only coonass woman from Louisiana who hates shellfish lol.
Many thanks Doug! Yea the crawfish sauce was heaven...... a woman from Louisiana that doesn't do shellfish, that's like saying she didn't breath growing up.... hopefully she liked gator!
I love it! Might be my top choice for a hypothetical “last meal”!
Thanks XR, yea it was a memorable meal.....I just sat in the reclined couch for 2 hours with a smile on my face!

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky