Reverse Seared Fillets on the Yoder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
I've really fell off the posting this year. When you're a creature of habit as I am I can only post the same stuff so many times. I cook 3 to 5 nights a week on the smokers & grills but I never post - so just to prove I still cook here's last nights reverse seared fillets. NOTE: a grill don't get this dirty sitting around collecting dust!

I cut these from a tenderloin. THICK! Wrapped them in bacon and a little Killer Hogs AP rub on one side and a dash of Saltgrass Sevens steak rub on the other side. Into the Yoder set on 150 for max smoke using a mix of 100% Hickory & Hickory/Char pellets from Lumberjack. I usually flip the steaks over after about 45 minutes to an hour. I also use the foil pain and top grate to allow max smoke and the pan serves as a heat shield to keep the IT from getting too hot prior to the sear.
53AC108B-76CE-4DE9-9669-43B15470389B_1_201_a.jpeg

About about 1 1/2 hours the IT is just over 100 and we're hungry - let's crank up the Yoder to 475 and grill some steaks over a Hickory fueled fire.
3A05B3DA-C4EF-4EA5-B2E2-B1673C371C4C_1_201_a.jpeg

I shoot for 125/130 max for IT and these were perfect. Grill grates were between 500 & 600 deg when I put the steaks on to sear. 2 minutes per set - 4 minutes per side - almost 8 minutes total on the grill grates.

BDC6AFE8-9BBE-48FD-A60A-A6908BEE9064_1_201_a.jpeg

This was the sample steak - we tore it up! They all turned out perfect. The meat was very good, nice sear & perfect amount of smoke flavor and aroma.
So why you ask did I post this cook? These are only my second time to cook fillets. I could get used to this.
Thanks for looking & Keep on smoking!

That is a perfectly cooked steak! Nice job. Yep, it's decided...you can still cook!

Ryan

That's a beautiful looking filet Randy, done the way I "Like"! I used to just about live on filets and now realize I haven't cooked one up in years. About as close as I come lately is when I make a thick porterhouse with a nice filet section on it. I just hate paying what they want for filets these days. RAY

Very Nice Cook!

I also really love that sear pic! That’s a beautiful thing right there!

Thanks for all the likes and feedback. I agree on the price of beef tenderloin or cut fillets. We bought that chunk of loin on sale and they were labeled BAC? As far as I know they came from a jersey milk cow but they tasted great and were much more tender than any of us expected.

Great Fillets! Finished product looks perfectly cooked. We have them once in a while due to cost like mentioned above. But still very nice when we have them. LIKE

Mike

I work from home and like to take many cheat breaks. One of my favorites is to look at posts I may have missed. Those steaks look fantastic. Just got into pellet grills at the beginning of summer and got a Traeger but have buyers remorse and am wishing I bought a Yoder. Seems like they are a quality piece of equipment.

Hey Tex! Agreeing with the above comments. Your smoke/sear looks great! I just bought a Yoder and some Grill Grates and want to do a reverse sear. Did you pull the whole diffuser plate or just the access cover over the fire pot to heat the Grill Grates up?

Hi Mac,

Most of the time I remove the defuser, slide the deflector plate all the way to the left and install the grates. That seems to expose more area for a larger cooking area on the grates when cooking several steaks. To me the key is getting smoke on the steaks without getting the IT too high. That's why I started using the pans & grate on the far right side for smoking the meat prior to pulling them & getting the grates HOT, HOT, HOT!

I have on a couple of occasions just removed the door on the defuser, place the grates on and sear with good results as well but it does make the hot zone on the grates a bit smaller but it's for sure doable.

This method is one of my favorite ways to cook & sear steaks. The Yoder does this and does it very well. Enjoy your cooker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky