Retired

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There was a point in my life when I was in my 30s, stone broke, divorced and I couldn't see a future.
I'm ashamed to admit I contemplated suicide seriously, but the idea of embarrassing my kids and parents kept me from it. I just went to bed every night thinking maybe something good will happen tomorrow. Little by little things got better and my life is good. It's sad that someone can be so depressed. Be there for the family when you can.

On a brighter note, congratulations, welcome to the club and the next chapter in your life story!
I was in the weather a lot at my last occupation (35yrs) and the last few years would get a nasty lingering cold about twice a year. Now it's so great to look out the window at bad weather and know I can just stay inside, and I haven't had a cold since 2018 :-)

Take care and enjoy!
Dan

Reactions: tallbm
Way to go Brian!! I'm happy for you sir. Enjoy your time and find lots of cool stuff to do now that you can do whatever the heck you want.

Robert

Congrats dude! I am totally in awe of you being able to retire. Maybe one day in the distant future I may be able to join you.
Jim

Good deal Brian . I know it's a tough decision to make . You'll get used to it .
Now you have time for a pup . That will keep you busy !
zpup.jpg

Congratulations Brian!!! I still like my job, but in reality I'm not too far behind you.

Chris

Thanks everyone. Started my first day getting Jeff's sous vide thighs in duck fat going and started curing chuck roast. Going to try making some collard greens to go chicken tonight. Woke up at 2am and could not go back sleep.

I used to raise and show them . I've had some live to be 14 . Most don't make it that far .
I have a cattle dog now . I spend 99.9 % of my retirement being bumped in the back of the leg .
I used to do Schutzhund. Have had GSD all my life. Always had 2 until now.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have always had more than one . Only one male . Females are more pack oriented .
Always wanted to do Schutzhund . To many kids running around in those days .
The black dog had a Schutzhund lll parent . She had the working drive .
Long time ago . My last GSD was 2012 .
Picture 937.jpg
Hanging with the dog is a good way to pass the time .

Congrats my friend! Today my working life ends. very excited. I also reflected on my father recently. I had a successful career and I know he was proud of that. Made hard choices about work, moving for work, etc. I wish he could come over for a toast with me tonight. But since he is gone, we will toast to him. He did a great job raising me to be self sufficient.

work is not who I am, work is a means to get what I wanted, do what i wanted, etc. Which it did.

Cheers to retirement! I am very happy it came early for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky