Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Chad,
Things are looking up and about time. Like I said I've said before I've spent most of the past 5 months trying to my butt covered. The wife has bought the PA system for the band <we have a house band already> I've been buying the kitchen equipment <very expensive> I have the friedrich oven in storage <that cooks 400lbs of meat at a time> a cook and hold over <alto shaam> that will hold 240lbs of product. getting the meat wholesaler's lined up as well as other vendors. It's been a lot of work <sleepless nights and headaches> but now the plan is comming together.. I'll keep this updated with the progress.

Thanks for your dupport, Your brother in smoking,

Joe

Hey Cheech,
the front end look good but the kitchen is a mess. My son and I was there yesterday and started removing kitchen equipment. All I can say is "Damn what an awful smell" we also started stripping down the kitchen walls too. We loaded up my work van with the old wooden work stations and removed the white <greasy white> wall panels and loaded up the van, The kitchen smells better but the van now smells.. <good thing that's not my only means of transportation> Now I hear the dump is closed on monday.. Here is where the manual labor is added to the mix. I'll take some pics today of the kitchen <this will be a before pic> Have a great one.

Joe

Joe

Thanks for the pics...looks like it is going to be one fine place when you get all done...Sorry to hear of all the additional headaches, but at least things are still moving forward...
As always...good luck, and wish you the best....

Later
Richard

Hi Richard,
We were at the "stall" mode for awhile but we all worked it out and figured If the landlord was a little unhappy and we were a little unhappy then it's a pretty good deal :) The wife, son and I were there untill 11pm lastnight degreasing the kitchen, the floor and appliances. Had I known there was that much grease there I don't think I would have ever eaten there. <It was GROSS>. We took everything we could out except the appliances that are still hooked up to the gas, bought a gallon of degreaser and cleaned the floor, freezer, stainless steel rack, prep table and sandwich unit. Going out today to buy casters for the equipment that doesn't have them so when it's time to clean the equipment can be moved. Either we are gaining on getting rid of the oder or we are winning the battle it wasn't that bad lastnight. We <my son and I> had to take a "Serve Safe food class and both passed<I got as 93> :) " It's the law here to pass the test in order to open a restaurant if your handeling food. Hope all is well in Ct. We'll let ya know when we open and anyone who wants to come up/down or over is welcome to do so. I'll post more details and the location at a later date.

Thanks for being supportive,

Joe

Good going, Joe. How 'bout leaving the tables the way they are and just cover them with red/white or blue/white checked plastic table covers? :P

Dutch, You know the deal <laugh> "What Mama wants, Mama gets. :) She's been spending though, My fault I shown her my e-bay account . laugh and by the way I nick named her <my wife> Barbeque Barbie"

Joe

Hey Daun, It's been slow but it's seemed to have picked up some. It's either all at once or nothing at all.. go figure

Joe

Isn't that the way life can go sometimes-feast or famine syndrome :) ! How are things progressing currently? Have you all set an opening date or are you still working things out with your vendors, ect..? Keeping ya'll in our thoughts and prayers :D , Daun

Hi Daun, We've been busy cleaning the kitchen and the equipment we'll be keeping. <I'll never eat at another asian restaurant again> GREASE city and filthy not to mension the smell. We have the new electrical service in. Now we have to basicly rewire the place and bring it up to code. Also the hood vent in the kitchen has to be updated, it's old, not deep enough and we need a fresh air supply so it doesn't suck all the air from the restaurant. We've taken out about 1000' of wiring so far that was not up to code and have a more to go. We've been working 7 days a week day and night. we hired a guy to draw the plans and will meet with him on wednesday to go over the 1st draft and will then work on the kitchen plans, Placement of equipment, handwashing sinks. prep sinks as well as all the other things. We were planning on a Feb opening but that's not going to happen. We moved the opening date to mid March now. We signed the lease as of Feb we start to pay rent. When we get the plans we'll submit them to the planning board so they can ok them or tell me things have to be changed <crossing fingers> Then we can pull the permit and start kitchen wiring, plumbing and all that good stuff. It always takes LONGER than you plan on. At some point we'll have to have inspections, Building, electrical, plumbing, health and fire inspections. <good thing I have experience in the building trade> Other than that we are moving forward slowly. Time for more coffee.

Joe

Wow, wow, and more wow :lol: ! Sounds like things are rolling and at least you know that once you are done with the cleaning your place will be CLEAN :) ! Nothing like a beautiful, and refreshed space to bring a look of appreciation from the officials (keeping my fingers crossed :lol: ) :D . Sorry you had to back the date up but it sounds like a good excuse for a heck of a St. Patty's day party :D ! We wish you continued sucess and thanks again for sharing! Enjoy your coffee ( have you thought about graduating to espresso? :D )! Daun

Hi Daun, Umm I'm an Italian boy and only drink espresso when I have trouble sleeping. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I can drink coffee or espresso and go right to sleep. It's almost 9pm here and I just got home. I will say this though, I don't think I'll eat asain food for a long time .. laugh

Joe

Hi Joe :) ! I bet you're glad to be home early :lol: . I don't blame you a bit about not eating asian food for a long time after your experience :shock: :shock: ! Blame the espresso joke on a southern country girl 8) . My hubby and I have really enjoyed your progress and are pulling ( not pork 8) )for your sucess :) . Daun

PS I'm sure ya'll will be too busy to attend the gathering in MO but is there any way to post a live link to your place on the main day? Just an Idea to think about and a bold suggestion from a computer novice :oops: .

Interesting Daun, A live feed.. I'll have to ask the wife she is the computer geek and I'm the food geek. :) After going through 7 gallons of commercial degreaser, 3 pairs of heavy duty rubber gloves, We decided to rent a steamer and steam clean what's left. Hmm another thing came up, We need to purchase a new 14' hood <wasn't expecting this> The one that is there is too small and out dated not to mension a mess. So an expense we wern't counting on. Thanks for cheering us on. It can be somewhat frustrating at times.

Thanks again,
Joe

Well, Just to let ya know what's going on. Perhaps this isn't the best state to do business in so much red tape. We had to basicly gut the kitchen and redo the walls. <lotta old mold> But it looks great. The wiring is taking time due to the fact that the electric company hasn't put in the new meter yet. We have to purchase a new hood and ansul system so we had to get an HVAC person to do those drawings and place thier state stamp on them. We had to have a floor plan done also with a state stamp on them. To have things with a state stamp on them is costly. The kitchen area "where the dishwasher and rinse sinks are " is almost completed. We are also redoing the dropped celing in the kitchen and dishwasher area. So far as construction debre goes we have takien out 3.5 tons of old midewed, stinky rotten walls. The front of the store is in much better condition that kitchen area, well all I can say is GROSS. We've gone through 7 gallons of commercial degreaser. Next week we'll rent a steamer and do the floors, pipes behind the old eqipment as well as the stainless steel that is stained with grease. One thing is for sure, The place will be spotless for the opening. We wouldn't want to work or cook or serve food if the kitchen was in the same condition. When I have the sinks and dishwasher hooked back up I'll post some pics of the finished product. I also have to take the blue print to the city <3 copies> along with the menu and the new equipment list along with paper work so they can approve it <they call this a "plan Review" > So the lease is signed and the countdown to open begins. We've been working 7 days a week and long hours just to bring the joint up to code. Anyway, enough of that. It's going to be a GREAT place for real BBQ and Blues!

Joe

Great to hear from you Joe:)

I have gone into the kitchen of many restaurants to work (plumbing/hvac) and vowed never to ever, ever, ever eat so much as a slice of toast from there again.
mad.gif

I went in the kitchen of one "national chain" upscale restaurant once where the waiters literally slid in and out of the kitchen to pick up orders on the greasy floor.

On top of that my brother in law is the head of the health department in my town and he won't eat out anywhere:evil: He says that the levels of bacteria in even the best kitchens are so bad he refuses to take the chance.

Hey, Joe!

Keep at it! I will walk through your front door! And Mercy Sakes I do believe we will enjoy the visit!

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky