Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Brother Dutch, Feeling any better today? It's double of what I thought it be .. I've seen others but not like this one .. Now just got to talk to the wife <I'm sure it will be ok .. I usually get what I want> :) But this time I may have to arm wrestle her on this one .. :)

Hope all is well on the home front Dutch,

Joe

Well, Joe, it looks like you pretty much have it together! Your mom is proud of you, your wife is with you and beside you and if that's not enough for the bank then find another bank!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Cheers!

Thanks for asking, Joe. With plenty of liquids, a bit more rest, methinks I have this cold/flu combo under control. Shoot I may even make it to the grandson's football game Saturday afternoon. But first I gotta take the work crew to the shooting range Saturday morning. (on the company's dime of course :D)

Shooters to the firing line. Left is ready? Right is ready? Ready on the left-ready on the right. Shooters, commence firing." Aaahh, the smell of fresh cordite in the morning! :twisted:

We have a BBQ place here in town called Bubba's BBQ and he uses a couple of propane fired units and wood chunks out front of his place. It's kind of a city joke-If ya can't find a cop at the donut shop, you'll find 'em hanging out at Bubba's. :P (not meaning to cast a bad light on the local law dawgs-cus I used to be one in my much younger days)

Dutch, Happy you are feeling better.. School started here and the neighbors kids have colds <wonder where they got the cold from> looksl ike a full day for you saturday .. 1st some firing squad practice and then off to the football game .. ahh the sound of the bodoes smashing into one another .. ahhh life is good :)

Joe

Hi Carl, Yup, we have a name ... the corperation papers are being drawn up by my brother the lawyer. The corp. name will be differant than the name of the bbq joint .. the name of the place will be "Smoke N' Joe's BBQ" Out or up here they call me either "Smoke N' Joe" or other names I won't mension .. laugh Although we are buying an existing business that has nothing to do with BBQ it's now a <Korean Rest.> with a 5 year lease we want to meet with the owner of the building and have a new lease in our name for 5 years with an additional 5 year and a 5% cap on the lease when and if we renew for the extended 5 year lease. <sipping my coffee> It's comming together slowly but I know at some point it will come together very very fast and then reality sets in again and I'll be working my butt off just to open the place and then working my butt off smoking and cooking.. we'll have 2 cooks in the kitchen, pluse 1 helper, 3 waitresses and 1 bartender perhaps 2 if 1 is part time for days.. The wife will be handeling the front end and I'll be handeling the back end .. and she'll keep her job to bring in money to keep us afloat until Smoke N'Joe's BBQ get up and running. In other words, I'll be running it all during the day and she'll come after work and work a few hours and then go home and I'll be opening and closing the place .. We'll have to train the wait staff on the food, how it's cooked and most folks out here have no idea what "dirty rice is" so they have to know what's in it .. whew ..

Thanks for Asking Carl,

Joe aka Smoke N' Joe :)

I'm chiming in late here, but, holy cow Joe! To open my own place is my biggest dream! I've been in the restaurant biz for a little over 21 years now. Graduated from J&W in Providence, and have spent the last 10 years running someone elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s place. Some day, some day. Good luck! I wish I was still in NE so that I could help :( ...

Hey JMack, Johnson and Wales .. impressive, You're working in the business now? What type of place are you running <size, staff>.. I went down yesterday and made a list of the equipment list. I been work every day looking at equipment and now have the price the old equipment that they have already, We are buying thier customer base, actually we are buying the beer and wine license, equipment <oven, stove, tables and chairs> and taking over the lease wich we'll have to talk to the owner of the building and renegotiate the lease .. 5 years with option for 5 more no more than a rent increase of between 3 and 5% over the extended 5 years on the option of renewing the lease .. and to think, we haven't even made the final offer yet .. In good faith we put some bucks down <in escrow> to let them know we are serious .. I already been putting in long hours with research and paper work .. and just about done .. on this end .. have been looking for suppliers .. now I know why they call they call them suppliers .. "I'll have someone call you back" .. I wait .. no calll back .. so I broke they word down , kinda slang "supp Liers" :) When the place is ready I'll have many pics .. and when the band is there I'll post pics of them also .. along with the smoking oven ..

Joe

Joe...
How goes the battle? Hope things are calming down a little for ya...I had no idea that those Southern -Pride smokers were that expensive...I feel guilty for sending you that link..is the sales rep at least going to come and polish it for you every week..
Hope all is still on track...Best wishes and Good Luck...

Later
Richard

hi Richard, they are expensive.. that's for sure .. At this point it's not calming down and probably won't until we get in the place.. lools like we have to remove a window to get the smoker in and also have to take a wall down and put it back up .. however I did locate a used Southern Pride for 9,500. plus shipping .. lotta work to do yet .. lota things to be put in place .. produce venders .. meat venders .. paper goods not to mension other kitchen equipment .. then the hiring of help and training them .. transfer of licenses .. beer and wine .. entertainment and to serve food .. then health and building inspectors as well as fire inspection .. I could go on .. but I think ya got the idea .. laugh .. Thanks for asking Richard :)

Joe

We found a place .. they accepted our Bid .. so now we move onto the purchase and sales contract .. which will incluse the beer and wine license so we'll have to get that transfered to our name .. going to city hall to file the corp papers .. already have the articles of the corp. still deciding on what smoking oven .. been working on menu's .. contacting meat suppliers as well as produce suppliers .. paper goods .. It's basicly starting from the ground up ... I'll post some pics of the place when I get the camera back .. Hmm they acepted our offer tonight so .. that's a good thing ..

Joe

So far so good, The restaurant we are purchasing has a permit for 60 people. The wife has a house band just about all set up, we'll be going to a Blues performance today <it's gettin chilly out there> outdoor concert. We've been more or less perfecting our sauces and things like that, not much of the perfecting the Q lately. Our son will come work for us as well .. took measurments yesterday and will be working on a floor plan, have to have a bar for atleast the beer and wine atleast if your going to have Q. and the blues. After eating at all the BBQ joints around...I have to be honest.. I wasn't impressed with the sauces they have. I think they start with a basic sauce <Cattlemans> and work from there adding things to that. Soon I won't have a life .. laugh .. I'll have 2 wives .. I'm prepairing for some long hours to start out with ..

Joe

You're getting there! 'Bout all I can do from here is offer all the best wishes for a successful run. And I will walk through that front door!

Cheers!

Hi folks .. a small update of how things are progressing. We signed the purchase and sales agreement, We had a meeting with the town folk <almost like a hearing> They are all for the BBQ, Blues and Beer, We have the Mayor's office beind us as well as the city redevelopment commission. Having some eletrical work checked out before we sign a lease <don't want to be responsible for wiring that isn't up to code> so best to get that checked out before we start our work. We bought 2 web addresses <no website as of yet> , Had my oven shipped up from Alabama and is now in storage. Hmmm haven't had much time to do any smoken. Just doing lots of paper work as well as trying to cover our backs .. So that's a small update for now.

Joe

Joe
Glad to hear that things are still moving in a forward direction for ya...As always, I still wish you guys the best of luck, and hope things can get moving along a little quicker for ya...

Later
Richard

Hey Richard, How have you been? It's a slow process, kinda like smoking meat only much longer <laugh>, I figured I'd let everyone know where we are at this point. We also purchased 3 fryers, 42" grill, beer bottle cooler and an Alto Shaam cook and hold oven that holds 240 lbs of meat. Still looking for a steam table. We were planning on a feb opening but looks more like a march opening just in time for the spring. So that's about where we are at this point. Still have to remodel the interior, purchase dishware and a point of sale system. We got great feed back from the town meeting and with hope we'll have customers .. lol ..

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky