Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Morning Monty, 2nd cup for me. We plan on using Apple, Oak and Hickory. As far as Splits, chunks <no chips> would depend on the smoker. There is plenty of space behind the building for wood storage as well as TONS of parking. I have seen some smokers that uses splits and would burn <I think it was> 2 splits every 8 hours but I could be wrong .. I'll have to check it out again.

1. Joe

Sounds good, Joe!

TONS of parking? Got to be near Northeastern, or off the outer part of Storrow Drive! And room for outside storage, too! Man that whole package is a dream for Boston where all the streets were once just footpaths and have not improved in over 250 Years! :D

Best wishes, Brother!

Cheers!

Big E, How I feel is tired .. I tend to keep things in perspective and not go off the deep end. When looking to buy a business you can't get emotional and you have to keep your mind focused on the "Business end" Although it is cool to do something that you enjoy and hear people rave about how good the food is and to get paid for it is a plus. But then the business mind takes over again. for an example of the work we have done .. There was a place forsale, the wife and I went to dinner there and we liked that place/location and were interested but there was a TGIF Fridays on the corner that looked new. I went on the net to the corp site of Fridays and looked up all the locations and this one wasn't listed "A Light goes off" So on Friday we went to dinner there and I asked "This place looks new and I was told it had just opened a month ago. There was another club on the corner and my wife went over to the doorman and spoke to him only to find out that the person who owns that club also owned the club that we were looking at. <interestng> So we had our dinner and headed over to the club that was forsale. It was somewhat packed and we stayed all night <they had seating for 42 people> , We spent he evening watching the bands play and noticed that hey took away some tables to make room for the band. <8 seats 2 tables> my childhood math kicked in .. 42 - 8 = 34 Now all the bands were in the place .. 3 bands first was a solo. that was 1 person, the other two bands had 5 people each in them .. so a total od 11 people in the bands taking up seats ... 34 - 11 = 23 people minus the wife and I came to 21 people. As the bands did thier gig and left some folks followed them .. by the time the last band was on 9 people left including the wife and I and the 2 bartenders. So we made an appointment to see more on sunday. It was a disgusting kitchen caked up gresase on the stove .. I am sorry I ate there earlier in the week .. To make a long story short .. If you plan on buying a business do you reasearch and put alot of time into it .. ask people, look around .. be alert and stay focused on the business end of it at all times. I don't have time to be excited just yet .. laugh .. I hope this makes an interesting read ..

Joe

Monty You are good .. my man .. :) lotta students and hospitals .. banks ..

Joe

Bear in mind, dear friend, that I spent a good deal of time pounding the streets of Boston both for myself and at times for Uncle! Don't miss it, believe me!

Daughter went to Northeastern and SIL to Harvard.

The only thing that would get me back there is some business I have to tend to. And I will visit your establishment then!

Cheers!

Monty, Boston needs a place like this .. we've done our research and put a deposit on the place. We meet with the bank this week. BTW I also went to NorthEastern back in the 70's. As I said before my wife has connections of the Blues and Soul musicians in the area .. We went to a bar to see someone she knows and has lots of contacts in the sceen and she's going to help us contact the bands other through her. So far we have the menu's in place.. a good business plan .. I couldn't have done all this without my wife.

Joe

PS You have a PM

Hats off to your wife, Joe! That's one of the things that I miss in my current lifestyle but as I mentioned in a PM that could change soon! And I have already seen the PM you speak of!

Cheers!

Thanks Richard, Ithink that is one site I may have missed .. and that is what we are looking for..

Joe

I have not had much to say here as I have no knowledge of running a successful restaurant. I would however like to wish you the best of luck and I hope it's as big as you want it to be Joe. It sounds like you are getting close and definately have a plan.

Hi Chad and thanks, We meet with the bank this week. The menu has been done for sometime now. The wife is working on the entertainment, She'll keep the job she has now <electrical engineer> so we'll have some income and it will look better when going to the bank. I'm looking at keg coolers and taps .. have to have a good beer selection .. Phoned the guy at Southern Pride for an idea of what size smoker to purchase don't want one too small nor do I want one too large<Thank Richard aka Vulcan> .. Business Plan is comming along <graphs and the break even point> how many meals we need to sell and at what cost. I have to build a bar .. we have a plumber in the family as well as a lawyer so that helps .. Just getting it started is plenty of work. Then comes the long hours of working there.. You gotta love it .. or all this work wouldn't be worth it.. so all and all .. It's comming ..

Thanks again Chad,

Joe

I'm in sticker shock ... the smoker from southern pride we want is .. hope you are sitting down .. 18 grand and the hood another 4 grand .. I don't want to get one too small or too large and this is the size they recommended .. soo anyone interested in buying my soul <kidding> we'll make it work .. My mom <bless her heart> asked if I could use my backyard silver smoker .. laugh .. I think she bought her first home for under 10 grand . So, f anyone wants to get me an early birthday/christmas gift .. guess what's on my list?

Joe

Well, Joe, think of it another way! You would not take a knife to a gunfight so head into this battle with the right equipment and don't look back!

Best to ya!

Cheers!

Monty. Ahh incouraging words . :) The salesman rattled off a few places that have that type of smoker. <but, he's a salesman> so I take it with a grain of salt> He did say the House of Blues in Cambridge had one before they closed and it was auctioned off, dang. It'sa southern Pride .. mdl # spk 500 .. take a look
http://www.southern-pride.com/pages/pits_spk-500-sl.php

can I add that to my signature on the bottom?

Joe

That's quite a unit, Joe! Seems to me that once it is seasoned and you have figgered out the all the neat little things which make every cooker unique it will handle a lit of your more tedious work

You may have to adjust your thoughts on cooking time and seasonings, though.

Since this unit features convection air your goodies will tend to cook faster, although more evenly, and the rubs, seasonings and whatever on the meats will probably have to be mopped a little nore often because of the tendency of convection to dry the surface. Convestion is a great thing to seal juices in and make for a moist meal but you will find that surface seasonings will be affected!

Otherwise go get yer gun and leave the knife at home!

And, yes, use the saying! It is befitting!

Cheers!

Monty, I asked the salesman about cooking time .. and fall off the bone ribs .. he said .. 3 hours and no foiling required .. the unit he said is so tight that it holds the moisture and the ribs come out moist ,, we'll see about that .. so cooking times will have to be adjusted and he said he'll help out all he can to get us up going .. recipes and he turned me onto a meat supplier for ribs .. soooo it be looking up .. But ain't she a thing a beauty .. lol I just told my mom the price .. sshe bought her first home to 7500.00 I said the oven was li'l more than 3 times that .. her italian accent kicked in .. I could feel the slap on the back of the head .. laugh
she is 81 ans still full of live .. she told me if we needed a waitress she would come work .. and told me she was a waitress at the last supper so she has experience..

Joe

Geez, Joe!

You lucked out! Even though you felt the slap on the back of the head, real or not, you did not hear the words scungile, gibrone or culo! :D

God bless your mom! Sometime give her a hug for me! Hope to meet her when I get there!

Here's another thought! When cooking in an automated mode it is a lot more difficult to add the love and attention you would normally inject into a manual cook!

Otherwise that looks like one hell of an impressive unit! Hope she serves you well and is a great part of of your success!

Cheers!

Monty, The broker's office is close by and he's been telling folks that there may be a BBQ place comming to town soon .. Free Advertisement .. We did our own research talking to people on the street and the corner stores .. to get a feel if they thought a BBQ club would do well in the town .. We got alot of good feed back .. I ribs will get lot's of luv'en .. I still have to wash then, pull the <drawing a blank here, my brain is fried> membrane off the back .. pat dry and put the rub on it .. I'll be lov'en it a whole lot at first .. :) I'll give Mom a Hug from Monty .. she is a ticket ..

Thanks Monty, and handshake

Joe

Joe, Whatever you end up getting for your BBQ & Blues joint, go ahead and add it to your signature line. If you got it and you use it, you just as well brag about it! :P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky