Reheating Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mjrcb

Original poster
Jun 18, 2023
I am cooking pulled pork for my wedding rehearsal dinner. I have 20lbs of cooked pulled pork (made following Malcolm Reeds overnight no wrap pork butt method). After cooking the pork, I put it in vacuumed sealed bags. I have read multiple different ways to reheat the pulled pork to keep it moist, but will be using a roaster (slow cooker) due to the quantity and time constraints leading up to wedding. I am planning on putting the thawed pulled pork in a roaster and using a spray bottle filled with apple juice to spray on on the pulled pork before it cooks. I would like some insights on how to reheat this amount of pulled pork and keep it moist.

How long will it take for this to get to 165 degrees? Should I heat it up on low in roaster? How much apple juice is enough to keep it moist but not make it soggy?

Here's how we would do it when I catered...

Seal meat at peak of freshness in vac seal bags.
Reheat in sealed bags via sous vide machine, or simply in simmering hot water.
Keep the pork in the bag in a primed cambro or cooler until ready to serve.
The meat doesn't leave the bag until it's needed.
This might not be feasible for your situation, but it's hands down the best method I've found. Good luck!

This might not be feasible for your situation, but it's hands down the best method I've found. Good luck!

Hey Zach!

Thanks for the reply. To make sure I understand correctly, I can reheat it using Sous de vide until it gets 165 degrees and then transfer it to a cooler in the vac sealed bags and it will retain the temp in the cooler before transferring it to roaster to serve?

Hey Zach!

Thanks for the reply. To make sure I understand correctly, I can reheat it using Sous de vide until it gets 165 degrees and then transfer it to a cooler in the vac sealed bags and it will retain the temp in the cooler before transferring it to roaster to serve?
Absolutely. Make sure to prime your well insulated cooler first with hot water. Might not be the best method if you're going to be holding this meat for hours and hours, but you will be fine for two to three hours.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I've used a roaster to reheat 20+ pounds of pulled pork many times. Works very fine and and if you keep the lid on it kept the moisture. Roasters do need a good stirring now and then for even heating.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I do pretty much same even for my pork that I freeze. Heat up in a vac sealed bag on a boiling stove. And every time I open it, it smells just like it came off the grill. Also would recommend some of JJ’s finishing sauce to mix in or have on the side for people to try!

I do pretty much same even for my pork that I freeze. Heat up in a vac sealed bag on a boiling stove. And every time I open it, it smells just like it came off the grill. Also would recommend some of JJ’s finishing sauce to mix in or have on the side for people to try!

I did that with some lamb shanks. Apparently with too hot of water, the heat seal on the vac sealed bag opened and all my good lamb went into my water bath and was ruined. 170* max on the water bath temps (imo).

• Wow
Reactions: HalfSmoked
I did that with some lamb shanks. Apparently with too hot of water, the heat seal on the vac sealed bag opened and all my good lamb went into my water bath and was ruined. 170* max on the water bath temps (imo).

Do you know the brand of bags you were using? I’ve boiled pork for around 30 min and never had an issue

Not too sure. What ever name brand they sell at wallyworld or meijers. It could have been the acidic tomato based sauce, and the heat combined. 150* max bath temp is all I use now.

The heat wasn't it. I SV vac sealed carrots all the time at 187°.

One other thing to consider...and this is definitely a personal preference sort of thing:

When reheating PP in a crock-pot, I often add a little water (no apple juice) to get the moisture just right. This keeps the PP tasting like it is smoker-fresh and allows the guests to add whatever sauce/flavor they want....mustard based, vinegar based or tomato based...without being influenced by a sweet apple cider flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky