Reheating Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhath19

Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I'm going to be reheating pulled pork that I cooked yesterday for a family gathering later this evening. My plan is to place the shredded pork into a pan and put some apple juice in the bottom of the pan, thinking maybe filling 1/4 of the way or less and then covering foil and placing in the oven at 225 for possibly 2.5 or more hours depending on how long the event that we are going to takes. We're putting it in the oven before we leave, so it cold be 4:15 when we leave and not get back until 6:30. Should I go with a lower temp? How much apple juice is too much and I assume I make sure once some apple juice is in the plan that I mix some onto all of the pulled pork.  Thanks for any advice!

You should be fine with your plan. Really don't need that much liquid though. 1/4-1/2 cup tops. Give it a stir every so often.

Last edited:
I'm with Disco on the liquid. Shouldn't take much at all unless you like pulled pork soup. 

Since you are putting them in the oven and not on the stovetop, stirring really isn't an issue. 

Personally, I would use an oven temp less than the boiling point of water since you may be gone for up to 2.5 hours.  Here's why: an oven has a temp monitor to maintain the set temp.  Your pan full of cold meat and a little liquid is a heat sink, absorbing available heat in the oven.  Consequently the oven will come on more often early in the warm-up as it tries to maintain the set temperature.  With the oven set at 225F, 13F above the boiling point of water, your pan could start simmering.  If that cooked pulled pork starts simmering at say 90 minutes, you could have mush by the time you get home an hour later. 

200 to 205F oven temp and covered tightly with foil should be fine.   

It turned out great! I ended up using about 2 cups of apple juice due to the amount of pulled pork I had.  I put it in at 4:15 at 205 and when we got home and pulled it out at 6:30 it was perfectly reheated and moist!  Thanks to all for the advice!

Last edited:
 You put 2C of apple juice on the bottom of the pan then put the pulled pork on top? I was wondering if it was going to be watery and soggy but since you said the result was great I am happy for ya !

You put 2C of apple juice on the bottom of the pan then put the pulled pork on top? I was wondering if it was going to be watery and soggy but since you said the result was great I am happy for ya !

Yeah I was afraid 1/2 C to only 1C wasn't going to be enough to keep it moist. It's definite subjective as I had a lot of pulled pork and noticed the smaller amount didn't go as far so that's why I adjusted :) Also cooking at the low temp helped not make it soup as it wasn't boiling.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky