Refrigerate after Opening?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3JH

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 18, 2022
I do not see anything on Jeff's sauces that the bottle should be refrigerated after opening. Is it common to expect one to do this or is it not necessary.

Reactions: JLeonard

If you look closely at the image of the bottle label, it does say in small print to refrigerate after opening.

Reactions: normanaj

If you look closely at the image of the bottle label, it does say in small print to refrigerate after opening.
You would think something as important as "refrigerate after opening" would have a larger font.

You would think something as important as "refrigerate after opening" would have a larger font.

I agree. Especially for those of us who need glasses in order to read small print.
It seems that most labels are like that these days.
And like everyone above, I refrigerate opened sauce bottles, etc too...out of force of habit, I guess.

Reactions: JLeonard
yeah i would go with refrigeration almost all sauces and stuff require it.

Thanks, I expected refrigeration was recommended but could not find it on the label. I even had to look twice to find it after you told me it was there. Thank to all that responded, I was refrigerating as I typically do most opened products

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
High sugar, salt, acid and alcohol are antimicrobial and will last outside of fridge like jelly, jams, preserves, bbq sauces, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, pickles, brined olives, oyster sauce, fish sauce, peanut butter, honey.........and many more as long as it's not dairy, eggs and unbrined vegtables and determines how long it'll take to finish off. I have a lot more fridge space without opened bottles of condiments in it. The mfr covers their butt with Keep Refrigerated and colors last longer but leaving these out a couple weeks is no problem. The integrity slowly declines but is faster outside the fridge and most may like certain condiments cold but don't throw it away if it's been opened outside the fridge weeks. Many have been sterilized so no foodbourne pathogens just spoilage that is easy to see, smell and taste. If in doubt search it. And yes I leave butter out.

I've always heard that as a general rule, if it's sold in the grocery store in a non-refrigerated section, it doesn't need refrigeration once opened...

That being said, my wife will put everything we open in the fridge...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I've always heard that as a general rule, if it's sold in the grocery store in a non-refrigerated section, it doesn't need refrigeration once opened...

That being said, my wife will put everything we open in the fridge...
Does she let you out on occasion? :emoji_blush:

We refrigerate everything as well...force of habit mostly!

Ryan

High sugar, salt, acid and alcohol are antimicrobial and will last outside of fridge like jelly, jams, preserves, bbq sauces, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, pickles, brined olives, oyster sauce, fish sauce, peanut butter, honey.........and many more as long as it's not dairy, eggs and unbrined vegtables and determines how long it'll take to finish off. I have a lot more fridge space without opened bottles of condiments in it. The mfr covers their butt with Keep Refrigerated and colors last longer but leaving these out a couple weeks is no problem. The integrity slowly declines but is faster outside the fridge and most may like certain condiments cold but don't throw it away if it's been opened outside the fridge weeks. Many have been sterilized so no foodbourne pathogens just spoilage that is easy to see, smell and taste. If in doubt search it. And yes I leave butter out.
I read an article awhile ago that mentioned this for many of the foods you reference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky