Laser Engravers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! The enclosure will really help, in my opinion. Nice to also be able to run it and be in the room w/out protective glasses.
Yes when buying a laser I never considered the smells and other bad things we could be breathing untill I went for a deep dive on youtube. I like how it will protect my dog if she just happens to come into my little office. Nice thing about where it is there is a small sliding window that I can make a plate to fit into with the exhaust hose and just remove it when not needed.

Reactions: geostriata
I keep mine in the garage sitting on the CNC bed. The whole thing will be enclosed one day. I have the materials, dowling cams and dowling jig. The melamine covered particle board is all cut and ready for me to stop being lazy. I just used all the plexiglass for my 3D printers so I will have to replace that first.

One of the most mind-blowing moments with my laser was when I was trying to build an alignment grid for it. I took a bunch of care to try to make everything square and then I realized: square is what the laser thinks is square. Then I proceeded to etch a grid into whatever half-assed plywood I had attached to the thing. It was liberating, in a way.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
One of the most mind-blowing moments with my laser was when I was trying to build an alignment grid for it. I took a bunch of care to try to make everything square and then I realized: square is what the laser thinks is square. Then I proceeded to etch a grid into whatever half-assed plywood I had attached to the thing. It was liberating, in a way.

I agree with this completely. Before I burn something I will place a piece of scrap wood at the same height and location to do a test burn. I will use that to set it as a template for the end product.

I am about to burn size labels into 22 handles for hex wrenches I 3D printed. I built a spring loaded vice to hold them in place. The first few handles I 3D printed were not great but I kept them to use them for testing the alignment. They can be sacrificed so the final ones will be perfect.

The vice will be double sided taped to a heavy chunk of aluminum so it will not move once the alignment is right.

hex_wrench_spring_vice.jpg

Reactions: geostriata
I keep mine in the garage sitting on the CNC bed. The whole thing will be enclosed one day. I have the materials, dowling cams and dowling jig. The melamine covered particle board is all cut and ready for me to stop being lazy. I just used all the plexiglass for my 3D printers so I will have to replace that first.
Well since I don't live in SoCal and I only have at best 4 months of anything above 30 degrees weather so the garage is out of the question. So my old house came with a small room that is converted to my office. I have a small computer desk, shelfs for stuff I refuse to throw out and now my engraver. I built a makeshift desk out of thrown out pellets. Used what I had and so far zero expence on the setup desk. I do need to get a better top but that is down the road. Next pension check I guess.
Been playing lots with Lightburn and LaserGRBL software. Still learning, need to learn how to center things. I'm sure its not all that hard but but I'm a old dog looking to learn new tricks. LOL
20240412_135809.jpg
20240413_193015.jpg
20240413_230748.jpg

Well I think I am getting the hang of this.
Lots to remember and lots to recheck.
Like my dad used to say measure twice and cut once. LOL
Same applies with engraving.
Its also nice to know when you screw up engraving glass you just need to repaint and start over and it turns out to the point if you did not know I screwed up lol.
20240414_190757.jpg

Since you are using it indoors just make sure to use the port on the right side of your enclosure to blow the air outside. The first time you laser burn plastic you will know what I am talking about.

Made a cutting board out of wood frames that lawn mowers and snow blowers come with. Very hard wood but not sure what it is. I have a chainsaw, lawn mower and snow blower place 200 feet from my yard so I have access to a lot of pellets and wood frames. Ran it through the planner and after glued together. Ran that back through the planner to get everyting at the same thickness. Then ran that through my table saw for size. Then ran it through my router table that I made to round the edges.
Used my new engraver to add some BBQ stuff. Screwed up with the center photo as I wanted it in a different position. My fault for not double checking. Will know better next time hopefully.
Just gave it a good cover of Pure Food Grade Mineral Oil
20240415_151112.jpg
20240415_151649.jpg
20240415_151120.jpg

Had some apple wood for the fire pit and decided to try and trim some for engraving. These things don't like to go through the planner but I did manage to get one or two through. Lots of sanding with the belt sander. Took the logo from the Hardware store next door and engraved it onto the first one. Gave it to them and they were very happy with it. People might see it and ask who made it and I might get some bussiness my way LOL
20240416_131208.jpg

Had some apple wood for the fire pit and decided to try and trim some for engraving. These things don't like to go through the planner but I did manage to get one or two through. Lots of sanding with the belt sander. Took the logo from the Hardware store next door and engraved it onto the first one. Gave it to them and they were very happy with it. People might see it and ask who made it and I might get some bussiness my way LOL
That looks great!

Reactions: KBFlyer
My laser cover with exhaust fan came in yesterday. Put it all together this morning and i have to say I'm impressed with it. If you can put the laser together you will not have any problems putting this together.
Still need to make a window insert but that should not be to hard. I will just use the laser to cut it out.
20240417_085826.jpg

My newest cutting board made from old pellets measures 15.5x11.
Engraved and gave it a good soaking of Food Grade Mineral Oil and its outside drying in the sun.
Need to make some picture frames now. More learning LOL
20240418_150122.jpg

May 12. The second Sunday in May is Mother's Day. Made these for my kid to give to his mom on mothers day.
Wall hanger
20240419_211436.jpg

And a key chain add on
20240419_225716.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky