Ref; Umai Lonzino

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
With winter coming up it means I'll have the ability to put things like milk etc outside in the garage..which means more fridge space. I've been eyeballing these UMAI bags for a while now and one thing still confuses me ..what you use exactly.

Some of the recipes follow the standard 2 week curing <Namely Lonzino, it's some thing I feel confident I can do>. Then you do a rinse..so far, standard. Then it says to put it into UMAI Dry.

I can only assume this is not the Umai dry bags. What exactly is it referring to? I'm trying to envision how you'd cram a few pounds of pork loin into what amounts to a sausage casing and can't see it..

I hope you do one soon. Lonzino is on my to do list!
I felt the most comfortable with Lonzilo as a starting point for not ground meat. It's a cut of meat I'm familiar with. The only thing that makes me wary is the fact it's never smoked or cooked at all! But well. If I am to die, let it be my own creation right?

I also want to do spicy pepperoni in the traditional manner.

I felt the most comfortable with Lonzilo as a starting point for not ground meat. It's a cut of meat I'm familiar with. The only thing that makes me wary is the fact it's never smoked or cooked at all! But well. If I am to die, let it be my own creation right?

I have a batch of beef/pork spicy pepperoni, and a batch of spicy venison roni going right now. Two weeks in.

I have a batch of beef/pork spicy pepperoni, and a batch of spicy venison roni going right now. Two weeks in.
Do you grind your own? That is one thing I do not do. I can't see it being economical for me to do when it comes to beef. When I do ground meat projects I do it because I see beef on sale for 2 bucks a pound or some thing. I could save money if I did pork butt and ground it..but well. My hand grinder is junk, it cost 20 bucks and it's been used twice and then I went 'Nope' lol..

Do you grind your own? That is one thing I do not do. I can't see it being economical for me to do when it comes to beef. When I do ground meat projects I do it because I see beef on sale for 2 bucks a pound or some thing. I could save money if I did pork butt and ground it..but well. My hand grinder is junk, it cost 20 bucks and it's been used twice and then I went 'Nope' lol..
Yes. I got a grinder for my bday.

My sausage game is so lacking...

As I understand the bags come in a huge roll? You just cut it off?
That’s right. I had never made sausage until late August. A grinder and this site will bring you up to speed really quickly. I got a spicy Italian sausage recipe from zippy and it’s some of the best I’ve ever had.

That’s right. I had never made sausage until late August. A grinder and this site will bring you up to speed really quickly. I got a spicy Italian sausage recipe from zippy and it’s some of the best I’ve ever had.
I just buy pre-ground stuff! To be fair when it comes to beef I haven't seen any cut to turn into ground beef that would qualify as saving money. Even cheap roasts generally go for more then the ground beef around me.

Interesting you cut the roll off to make the bag. Probably a good method though. Just vaccum seal both ends?

A936AFAD-70FD-40BB-AF7C-CC98281375DF.jpeg
I just pulled them out to see the progress. Right side is the venison. They dry quickly no leaking at all.

Have you never had dry cured (uncooked) meat? Prosciutto, capicola? This is no different.

I recommend buying a piece from the store. See if you like it. Some folks dry cure these meats then end up cooking them because they dpn't catr about the "raw" taste/feel.

Looks awesome. Man I can't wait till I get into this Umai stuff. Just gotta put the money up for it ..!
It’s pricy but hey, it’s a family friendly hobby that I enjoy as do my friends and loved ones. I say go for it if you can. The feedback on umai seems consistently positive.

It’s pricy but hey, it’s a family friendly hobby that I enjoy as do my friends and loved ones. I say go for it if you can. The feedback on umai seems consistently positive.
I just gotta do some measuring to know which bag size to get is all :)

Have you never had dry cured (uncooked) meat? Prosciutto, capicola? This is no different.

I recommend buying a piece from the store. See if you like it. Some folks dry cure these meats then end up cooking them because they dpn't catr about the "raw" taste/feel.
I have also had that, I still find it an odd concept to eat uncooked pork is all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky