Umai Vac Bag Failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Help please. I have two pieces of lonzino and a bresaola in Umai vac seal bags. Weighing them this morning, I found one of the lonzino bags to have lost its seal and the bag no longer was adhering to the meat. I tried cutting the bag and resealing but despite my best efforts the bag wouldn't vacuum back down. It's only 30 grams away from it's target weight so I'm not quite sure what to do... my newly built curing chamber is up and running with nothing in it yet but I'm not sure how to approach that. I have collagen sheets, or I guess I could hang it the way it is?

I've had them shrink away from the bag before , but the seal was still good .
I've also pulled them from the bag and smoked / cooked them at 200 and bring the IT 152 on pork . Actually pretty good like that .

Ok, I wrapped it up tight in what was left of the bag. It's close to done anyway and is going to need time vacuum sealed to equalize the moisture anyway. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Here's a loin I pulled a couple weeks ago . You can see it was loose .
I slice what I want , then just store the rest in the Umai bag wrapped with a rubber band .
doesn't last long .
1685114293370.png
1685114372882.png

The bag separating from the meat is fairly normal. Especially with salami. As long as you can close the bag somehow even folded over it’s fine.

Reactions: mr_whipple
The bag separating from the meat is fairly normal. Especially with salami. As long as you can close the bag somehow even folded over it’s fine.

Not sure what happened, but it was more than pulling away. It was as if it completely lost the seal. I was surprised when I vacuumed the pieces how well they sealed. Oh well, looks like things should be fine.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
If the bag isn't vacuuming back down, you can try a couple of things. First, ensure that the bag and the sealing area are clean and dry. Sometimes moisture can hinder the sealing process. You can also try using a new Umai Vac bag to ensure a proper seal.
Regarding your curing chamber, if you have collagen sheets, they could be a good alternative for wrapping the lonzino. Or you can even use paper grocery store bags. I hope my tips are helpful!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky