Ref; Umai Lonzino

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you are going to commit I'd suggest curing a whole 10 to 12lb loin. The reason being is you invest 12 or 14 weeks in curing and aging a 3lb piece of meat the finished product is only around 1-1/2 pounds. If you like it its gone in no time. If you cure a 10 or 12 pound loin it takes no longer only slightly more in upstart costs and in the end you have more to get you through until you cure/age more. Whole loin is cheap. I've been getting whole loins for $15 to $18 each.

If for some reason you don't like it you risked less the $20 in meat, spices and Umai bag curing whole over partial loin.

You bring up a good point. Admittedly I don't think I can get a 10-12 pound loin. I think most around me peter out about 8.5. <Not that I looked for those monsters in the bin either>.

I just assume to fit the loin in a bag I'd need to cut it in half. In the case of Lonzino I was thinking of doing one coated with smoked paprika and one plain. As I understand Lonzino and Lomo.

If you are buying a full loin they are in the 9 to 13 lb range. WalMart and every other grocery store around me have them cryo vac'ed for around $1.50 per lb.

In the last three weeks I have gotten 3 full loins where the store was running a special either $2 off per loin or discounted to $1.59 per. I have 30+ lbs of pork loin curing for less than $60 total investment including spices, salt and cure.

Another good choice to cure although yield is a lot less is pork fish. They are anywhere from 3/4 to a little over a pound per fish

Before you put the meat in the Umai bag you need to cure it. So either a long plastic bag from something like a vacuum sealer or a non-reactive lidded container big enough to hold the meat/s is needed prior to the Umai bag.
Oh I read the actual UMAi recipe for the Lonzino etc. When I order it and before I do I will also post here. I figured 6 pounds of each is about what I want. I've had these things before, so I know what to expect food wise, but actually making them..

Well. Suffice to say, I am looking forward to using them on homemade thin crust pizzas. <There was a place near me that would Capicola and Loncino pizza. They've removed Loncino from their offerings though. Capicola has also become a premium topping..which I entirely understand>

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky