Ref; One Weird Idea..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So I saw a thing on FB about Luhua pork..Haiwain..I can't spell these words. Where they wrap the pork in Banana leaves and bury it under coals. My friend saw it, and then asked me 'Can you wrap it in banana leaves in your smoker and would it be the same?'

I have never had pork done this way, and certainly can't guess as to what it would be like in a smoker. Some one want to chime in? They're asking if we could try it this summer and bring it to her bar for a party.

I’ve seen them do that on tv as well. It’s because the pork is placed directly on hot coals. It protects the meat. Not sure of any benefits you’d get using banana leaves on your smoker. But I’m gonna watch if you try this!

Scott

Well I've read about it, the banana leaves also flavour and scent the meat...I told my friend she can buy the stuff if she wants me to try, I honestly would rather try it on my drum grill. That sucker can fit a whole 300 pound pig, was thinking if I did this per what Facebook showed..ahh well! I'm tempted to try this! Damn people giving me ideas right? Lol!

Well there you go! I had no idea. I like it give it a try! I’m following this one.

Scott

You might be waiting a loong while LOL. I was just seeing if some one else had done this. I've never even had pork made this way for a proper comparison! <Apparently Wally World sells banana leaves frozen!>

I've been to traditional Luau in Hawaii. Great and super good!
But try it myself? Naw, I know it's more than I want to try.

Well beyond Banana Leaves, there's a special salt involved..also a special wood. The banana leaves and salt are available in stores or via amazon. The special wood is basically Island Mesquite and If I do this, I'll likely just use mesquite!

And Sonny? I'm crazy, it'll be 4 AM and an idea forms in my head and I have to start googling how to do it. LOL

This thread was a nice trip down memory lane.

I've eaten whole hog pulled pork that was cooked in the ground in Hawaii, the Philippines, and south Texas. Hawaii and the PI used banana leaves and burlap, if I remember right. The south Texas version used wet burlap and a heavy cotton tarp, I believe. It was done by guys in the squadron and I wasn't there for the cook, just the party.

All the meat was tender, but I remember each party more than the flavor of the meat. Which is interesting to me because I have very specific flavor memories of wood/charcoal fired Q in other places that occurred during the same period.

Looking forward to someone trying a butt wrapped with banana leaves.

I can already hear the earworm talking to me......."You have butts in the freezer. Find banana leaves......find banana leaves......find banana leaves."

You can find them frozen at Walmart ... but the salt is definitely likely an order online thing. It's not pink salt either; it's actually formed by evaporating in small pools where it mixes with the volcanic red ash. So it's mineral composition etc is way different, I told my friend to mail me some but uh. Shipping is a bit much so I'll settle for amazon eventually LOL

I've seen individual portions wrapped in the leaves and cooked never had any though .

My wife actually grew up on an island...and I have hawaain friends!
Kalua pork is hawaain .They wrap it in banana leaves, bury it on hot coals of koa wood. Mesquite is kind of comparable.
The salt is Hawaain alaea (sp?) Red Sea salt.
I smoked one a few months back by rubbing it down with the salt, onion powder, and black pepper. I also saw someone online here cut slits in the butt and stuff them with garlic gloves.
It really turned out great!! I did not wrap in banana leaves.

Reactions: noboundaries
If I try this, and I'm not saying I am, I'd have to do some research first on seasonings that don't involve volcanic salts. Once I had the correct seasonings applied, I'd smoke the rubbed, unwrapped butt with mesquite until the stall. I'd wrap the butt in leaves, tie them onto the butt with butcher's string, then wrap the butt in butcher paper because I have a bunch. Take it to 203-205F, rest in the wrapping for a few hours, then unwrap and pull.

I just looked up where to buy Hawaiian Alaea Sea Salt. World Market carries it, and there's one of those 10 minutes from the house. "Go get some." Dang it! That was the earworm typing.

On Amazon, when you look up the salt shown above, one of the reviewers has a complete recipe and pictures! And he used a WSM. Dang it! I gotta do this.

There's an oriental market that carries banana leaves not much further than World Market. Smoked turkey this week, Kalua Pork next week!

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to watch from the sidelines. I am allergic to bananas so I just can't take the chance the leaves might transfer whatever it is in the bananas that want to kill me. It does sound interesting though.

George

I believe the wood is Kiawe as for the salt use sea salt

Richie
For practice you can make something like a Tamale

I should have shut my mouth and done this -then- posted about it! LOL!

And I got a world market near me too; not so sure where I'd find the banana leaves yet..

And apparently, the traditional way is..just coat the pig in the salt, thats it. No other seasonings.

Update: Woodmanns is a chain near me, might have them. I can't always be sure just based off the online stock search if this is frozen or decorative ones.

I believe the wood is Kiawe as for the salt use sea salt

Richie
For practice you can make something like a Tamale

Problem for me is I have to use chips or pellets. <Also I imagine any thing from hawaii is going to cost me a fortune!>

Also the link doesn't go any where. I'm thinking since Kiawe is supposed to be a sweeter form of Mesquite flavour profile wise..a 2/3 mesquite, 1/3 apple blend?

I got every thing for this now. Right now I'm just smoking 6 pork chops, some ABTs and a 1.5 pound brisket; planning on starting the Kalua Pork at midnight. I'm theorizing it still won't finish till 4-6 PM so with my Pellet Tray I can actually sleep LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky