Ref; Hit me with some thing new

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I'm at a bit of an impasse, what do I use my smoker for? Pulled pork is a monthly thing...but I'm sort of out of things to do, but I still like using it. I'm simply put really out of ideas and need some inspiration!

Wow.. Not sure what to tell you. I know you've looked around here quite a bit. I'm perplexed as to how you can run out of ideas here of all places.
I'm fond of Bears Bacon on a Stick ribs, and there are more smoked wings variants than Buffalo Wild Wings ever imagined. Matter of fact Bears step by steps are a meat heads dream.
If you are at all interested in sausages....there's another level of a meat heads dream.
Smoked cheeses, onions, tomatoes, mac and cheese, and a ton of other things that blur my mind.

Somebodies signature reads something to the effect of "Thou shall not say I have nothing more to smoke !"

Some of the more exotic things i have smoked include:
  • smoked PP for tacos by injecting enchilada sauce,
  • smoked chicken pot pie ( you smoke the chicken and then make pot pie),
  • smoked moink balls (beef and pork meat balls wrapped in bacon),
  • PP abts,
  • smoked rib roast for french dip sammies,
  • smoked beef tenderloin,
  • baby back ribs cut into individual bones before smoking,
  • teriyaki marinaded and teriyaki bbq smoked wings,
  • beef jerky (lemon pepper and teriyaki)
i commonly smoke beef roasts, chicken pieces, and pork chops to have meat for meals throughout the week on Saturday
i wouldn't mind trying to smoke lamb and veal soon.
I also recommend Jeff's recipe site Smoking-Meat.com and the weekly newsletter.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Open any cookbook, go to the fish, poultry, pork, beef and vegetable sections, find recipes you like, and treat your smoker like a smoky oven. Heck, you can even do desserts. Due to some issues in my backyard, I'm out of smoking and grilling for another week. Been using the oven for things I usually do on the smoker, like jerky and Canadian bacon. It works both ways!

Reactions: phatbac
Homemade pastrami. I bought a whole brisket and separated the point from the flat. I like the point for burnt ends, etc. Decided to make some pastrami with the flat. I cured it and put pastrami spices on it then put it on the smoker until it was 150 degrees. After that I steamed it until it reached 205. The end result was incredible. It's simple to make and different.

I'm with you on the Pulled Pork.. I smoke 2 butts, pull it, add all the seasonings and finishing sauce and package in 1 qt. freezer bags.. I'll use many types of bread for PP sammies as the mood strikes... I've used it in flour tortillas, hot dog buns, etc. my favorite is the square ciabatta rolls or tortillas for a great sandwich.. Coleslaw with Litehouse slaw dressing as a condiment on the sammie..
I'm gettin' hungry now...

Turkeys are ridiculously cheap at the moment. Heck buy a green ham and cure and smoke it for holiday ham! :)

With turkey alone you could do:
  • state fair/disneyland style cured and smoked drums or thighs
  • cured smoked turkey breast for sandwich meat
  • cured smoked whole turkey
  • non-cured smoked breast or whole turkey
Heck I deboned a turkey, cured it in Pop's low sodium brine, stuffed with stuffing, tied up and smoked it for early thanksgiving this past Sat on my father's side of the family! It was my test run for actual thanksgiving as that side of the family will eat anything so I knew I couldn't go wrong as I try this new approach :)
It was a huge hit! I'll make a post about the main one I do for Thanksgiving day but here are some pics to give you an idea of what it looked like this past week :)
2nq64pu.jpg

2ytnz3c.jpg

Check out this post for peoples "buck list" of smokes they would like to do. It is helpful for things you may not have considered :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whats-your-food-smoking-bucket-list.270399/

Best of luck!

C'mon, Tom! You just looking for sympathy???? Word has it you smoke your pellets before using them to smoke your meat. You smoke everything, don't give up now! Or maybe it is just too cold out to fire it up? I can see this thread is going to generate some potentially good ideas. Will be following along. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Maybe buy some books. Very inspiring. To me, smoking is very much like brewing beer in that I actually enjoy the research and planning more than the actual smoke/brew itself.

I am REALLY fired up since I tried dust on some cheese. Plan to try a few different types with different dusts. I am a little weird in that I don't smoke 50lbs of cheese at a time. I do one cheese type, maybe a pound or 2 at a time.

C'mon, Tom! You just looking for sympathy???? Word has it you smoke your pellets before using them to smoke your meat. You smoke everything, don't give up now! Or maybe it is just too cold out to fire it up? I can see this thread is going to generate some potentially good ideas. Will be following along. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I ain't quite that crazy.

Alot of it is I have more time on my hands then not, so I'll just go through every thing here and go 'Well now what'..and I like that idea Tallbm. Personally not a turkey fan, but the family is, might have to try that with a turkey breast.

Aaron; what sort of injector you using? I tried to do some normal marinades for injection and it just jammed up the needle and that was a pain to clear..

I guess I'm turning into Zwiller; I'm at the point of planning and reading is far more fun then the actual smoke and end result.

I just hate the idea of not using my smoker for a month because I put good money into it.

I give out smoked cheese and nuts for Xmas presents, so that's an idea for ya!
I give out cheese to friends and family as well. Always a nice treat. I have been craving fatties lately so I have a few of those planned for later in the week. I enjoy pies in the smoker as well. Just did a batch of meat candy the weekend before. They are always a good appy and surprise to people who have not tried them. Did a chuck roast and turned it into ragu for yesterday. fed the boys turned pretty good. Spatchcock chickens are always good, we are usually every 2nd week doing those. Brined and smoked turkey breast turns out way better than the deli's and makes great sammies. Anything new that pops up here I love to try as well, Although my plates are not as pretty as others lol.
Let us know, I am making myself hungry reading all the posts....

We've all seen my plating pictures. I shouldn't be allowed to hold a Camera!

I actually want to bust out some ABTs for thanksgiving, but it really comes down to what I have energy left for. Right now the only thing I'm not doing possibly is a corn casserole.

Alot of it is I have more time on my hands then not, so I'll just go through every thing here and go 'Well now what'..and I like that idea Tallbm. Personally not a turkey fan, but the family is, might have to try that with a turkey breast.

Aaron; what sort of injector you using? I tried to do some normal marinades for injection and it just jammed up the needle and that was a pain to clear..

I guess I'm turning into Zwiller; I'm at the point of planning and reading is far more fun then the actual smoke and end result.

I just hate the idea of not using my smoker for a month because I put good money into it.

Tip on injecting with home made marinades. Throw it in the blender and blend the crap out of it. Then strain it and only inject the strained liquid. This is how I do my Jalapeno Brown Sugar Creole Butter Marinade that I inject into my deep fried turkeys. It's the only way to keep the jalapeno pulp and seeds from jamming up the needle and it works like magic!
:)

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN

I have a cheapo i bought from walmart for 2.95 with a big needle and i use the disposable ones from tony chircachie's creole butter. something also: try food processor and then strain you marinade after it sits the fridge over night.

for jerky i marinade for a week with cure #1 and smoek for 8-10 hours with AMNPS.
soon im going to try my hand at cheese, i will start with those moz string cheese stixthe kids eat and smoek some of those over AMPNS in a WSM.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I haven't done jerky in a while.

I mean that sounds like you are almost curing bacon at a week length... LOL

I just bought a new injector. It was a bit pricey but it’s amazing!! Multiple needle types, one so thick you could inject minced garlic?? Check out Spitkack injector kits on Amazon.

I just bought a new injector. It was a bit pricey but it’s amazing!! Multiple needle types, one so thick you could inject minced garlic?? Check out Spitkack injector kits on Amazon.
Nice. I mean I don't mind the fact I gotta buy Cajun Injector, etc. But I also would like to try something crazy like injecting some buttermilk ranch into chicken breasts then smoking them, but the stuff we like has peppercorns in it.

Might have to start a X-mas list of things I want and don't need but SMF said it was good.. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky