1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ref; Every one's fav popcorn

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by TomKnollRFV, Oct 10, 2018.

1. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

So I haven't been smoking a bunch this week yet, but I remembered Humdinger gave me some smoked salt..and I made popcorn. My go to popcorn is always just garlic and salt, ample butter.

I'm always curious to hear other people's way to jazz things up with this though. I can eat popcorn every day my self..I do hot sauce in the butter some times, some times soy sauce. How about every one else?

SonnyE likes this.
  2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Butter and Ranch Seasoning
    Butter and Black Truffle Salt
    Cheddar or Parmesan cheese

3. TomKnollRFV

Truffle Salt? Some thing tells me I'll need to do some looking to find it locally Chile!

4. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

It's great on a lot of things, popcorn, scrambled eggs, rice/risotto, baked/mashed potatoes and more.

5. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Last year I grew some red popcorn and that worked out well. This year I grew it again and the animals tore it to shreds, and I got nothing.

FYI ordinary popcorn from the grocery can be viable, in my experience about 75%

Linda wants popcorn almost every day. My routine is to use a deep narrow pot, and measure out just enough popcorn to cover the bottom. Pour that out into a big steel bowl and start the heat under the pot. Let that warm up until the oil "shimmers" as they say. Put the corn in the oil (did you make sure you know where the lid is?) and separately melt some butter. Pop the corn, pour it in the bowl, sprinkle it with salt, drizzle it with the melted butter, stir it again and salt it again.

Serve.

I could easily do a hot pepper version but no one else in the house would eat it.

6. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

This stuff is good.They have a regular cheddar also if you miss the orange fingers.:rolleyes:
    I buy the same brand cure #1.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My kids like the sweet heat of my Cajun Rib Tickler Rub on popcorn. I love popcorn but seems more than a cereal bowl full and I am guaranteed a night of Gastric Distress...JJ

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Finally grated cheddar cheese.

Chris

9. My favorite is simply, butter and Old Bay!

Disclaimer: I am from Maryland, we put Old Bay on everything!

10. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

I am big fan of simple but GOOD. All the pro stuff is now available. Top grade kernels, flavacol, etc. Favorite of mine is kettle corn in the whirly. The key is using mushroom popcorn.

If I am in the mood to jazz up nuked fare I hit with garlic powder and parmasean cheese.

11. TomKnollRFV

I actually live near a popcorn distributor so I get all the fancy kernels. Like Baby rice popcorn <Not actually rice..just not many hulls left over when it pops. I buy it when they put cases on sale>.

I never thought of old bay ...nor did I know that company sold cheese powder. Hrm...!

12. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

We tried many ways of popping corn in our nearly 50 years of marriage, but about 8 years ago my older Sister tipped me off about the Micro-wave popper seen below.
    You can use oil with it if you want, but you don't have to---I don't, and it works Great---Tastes almost like we used to get in a Movie Theater.
    I use real fine Butter flavored Salt, and sometimes "Nacho flavored".
    3917816_fpx.tif.jpeg

13. TomKnollRFV

I have seen these, though never got one. I got two oil poppers around. <One of them is a whirley pop for the stove top>. I normally just use my counter top model though. Some thing tells me this cleans easier.. :p

14. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Went down the movie popcorn rabbit hole... The "popcorn snobs" say the key to movie theater popcorn is well seasoned whirly so I never clean mine and just wipe it down. I can get you my notes for specifics but in a nutshell: whirly, white popcorn, coconut oil, flavacol = movie popcorn. I also have a jug of the "butter topping" they use but not really needed honestly. Make it with the butter topping in place of the coconut oil and a little more flavacol and then it becomes "bar popcorn".

15. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If you haven't put a handful of Jalapeno slices in with your kernels and oil as they pop you haven't lived!

16. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I am a traditionalist when it comes to popcorn. MUST be made in a WhirleyPop on the stove. Any other way is an affront to the pop gods. I put kosher salt in a mortar & pestle and grind it fine, drizzle on a 50/50 mix of melted butter/olive oil. Eat till I get a stomach ache and resolve to be more prudent next time.

Trivia fact: Indiana is the largest popcorn producing state in the U.S.

17. kawboy

kawboy Smoking Fanatic

Microwave, dusted with Tony Chachere's.

18. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

Im a microwave guy myself although Im going to have to check out these WhirelyPop things everyone has mentioned. So far my favorite seasoning is the Cabela's Tequila Lime Salt on buttered popcorn.

19. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

My go-to is Microwave Popcorn, and Parmesan Cheese.
    The wife likes Butter melted and drizzled on hers.

Most recently, I will drizzle butter on mine, then hit it with more cheese than should be allowed, and the cheese sticks better to the buttered popcorn. I love to separate out the kernels at the end of the bowl and shovel the cheese in my maw.
    I might try adding some powdered honey to my cheese. Just to see if I like it. :rolleyes:
    Life, and food... is an experiment. o_O

20. TomKnollRFV

I avoid actual bagged microwave popcorn because it's linked to -alot- of health risks and just tastes like salt to me. Even though I can get higher grade then normal microwave popcorn.

If you got a stove, you can use a whirley pop, you just gotta man it whilst it goes. Thats why I got a countertop oil popper..that and glass stoves can sort of break under high heat, which I used for the whirley pop.

Any one here ever heard of Popcorn Salad? This is a real thing, popcorn base for salad.