Ref; Every one's fav popcorn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I avoid actual bagged microwave popcorn because it's linked to -alot- of health risks and just tastes like salt to me. Even though I can get higher grade then normal microwave popcorn.

If you got a stove, you can use a whirley pop, you just gotta man it whilst it goes. Thats why I got a countertop oil popper..that and glass stoves can sort of break under high heat, which I used for the whirley pop.

Any one here ever heard of Popcorn Salad? This is a real thing, popcorn base for salad.

I agree---I never found a Microwave "Bag" popcorn that I liked.

Bear

I agree---I never found a Microwave "Bag" popcorn that I liked.

Bear
They do some with olive oil now, so it's vaguely healthier... but..

https://www.webmd.com/lung/popcorn-lung

There is legitimately a condition so commonly caused by microwave popcorn that even when caused by other things, it's called Popcorn Lung. I'm a bit surprised I never got it at one point, years back when my diabetes wasn't overly controlled <IE; I was being young and stupid> One of the few foods that seemed to play nice was popcorn. I was eating about 3 bags a day. Then I read about the horrid things it can do.

I love popcorn a lot of different ways. One of my favorites is to use JT crispy n light white microwave popcorn. Dust it with a healthy dose of white cheddar cheese powder and smoke it with some hickory smoke for about 60-90 mins. After that I have gone back a lot to just making it in a pan on the stove with some real butter and salt. Still get some other microwave popcorn from time to time as well.

Popcorn Lung?
Sounds like somebodies thesis to get out of college.
I smoked cigarettes for 35 years, worked in industrial environments, and spent 7 years in the Uranium Mining and Milling industry in Wyoming.
Popcorn lung is about as low a worry as I could ever come up with.
I won't live forever, and never talked to anybody who got out of life alive.
My heart attack was due to eating too much red meat. Where there's fat there's flavor.... No, where there is Beef Fat, there is cholesterol to plug your arteries.

Act II is the one we happen to like. Our Microwave oven even has a Popcorn button on it. :confused:;)

Popcorn Lung?
I smoked cigarettes for 35 years, worked in industrial environments, and spent 7 years in the Uranium Mining and Milling industry in Wyoming.
My heart attack was due to eating too much red meat. Where there's fat there's flavor.... No, where there is Beef Fat, there is cholesterol to plug your arteries.

Act II is the one we happen to like. Our Microwave oven even has a Popcorn button on it. :confused:;)
Oh heck, now I wonder...can we make popcorn in a smoker.. LOL

Reactions: SonnyE
Popcorn Lung?

It is an actual thing but so far I have only heard about it happening in people who work in the factories that produce the microwave popcorn. It is caused by inhaling chemicals that are in the butter flavoring. At this point I have only heard it happening in one consumer and they said he ate 2 bags a day for 10 years.

Once the dangers associated with diacetyl were discovered in the early 2000s, the majority of popcorn producers stopped using the chemical.

However, e-cigarette vapor has been proven to contain diacetyl.

A 2015 study of flavored e-cigarettes found that 39 out of 51 tested brands contained diacetyl. The same study concluded that most of these brands also contained the toxic chemicals acetoin and 2,3 pentanedione.

Manufacturers add diacetyl to the "e-juice" that is vaporized by e-cigarettes, most commonly to the strongly-flavored varieties. Diacetyl occurs in a wide range of different flavored e-cigarette products, ranging from vanilla to caramel and coconut.

E-cigarettes only came under the control of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2016. Changes to regulations may be required in the coming years as more research is carried out.
Vaping is where there has been a recent significant rise in Popcorn Lung.
The market for flavored liquids is HUGE!
And these Vapers are using it near constantly, leading to higher and more concentrated rates of exposure than former popcorn factory workers ever experienced.
Keep vaping people!

Vaping is where there has been a recent significant rise in Popcorn Lung.
The market for flavored liquids is HUGE!
And these Vapers are using it near constantly, leading to higher and more concentrated rates of exposure than former popcorn factory workers ever experienced.
Keep vaping people!

In my opinion, they should try vaping some Round Up....

Earlier this year while on our trout fishing vacation, we bought four things of Jiffy Pop.
Wanted to show the kids the way we did it at their age, not one of those darned things popped more than a handful of popcorn. It was hilarious watching the kids and ladies trying to make those things pop some corn, one actually caught on fire. I may even have pictures of that.

Earlier this year while on our trout fishing vacation, we bought four things of Jiffy Pop.
Wanted to show the kids the way we did it at their age, not one of those darned things popped more than a handful of popcorn. It was hilarious watching the kids and ladies trying to make those things pop some corn, one actually caught on fire. I may even have pictures of that.

LOL---I think they even got worse than they used to be.
At least you had some fine Tasting Trout!!!

Bear

LOL Jiffy was for "rich kids" in my youth so we never had it. Recently, the wife and I saw it for sale and grabbed one. Didn't think they sold it anymore. Our youngest got the biggest kick watching it pop. Video'd the whole thing. Funny.

No one suggested making popcorn in bacon grease yet?!?!?!?! Classic.

When I make pork rinds, French fries, or potato chips I like this a lot. It goes very well on popcorn too. Heck, even corn on the cob for that matter. This recipe makes a lot. But you are the type of person (like me) that likes to tip and drain the last bits and seasoning of a BBQ potato chip bag directly into your mouth, this is for you. Good for having in a shaker at the table. Go as heavy as you like.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-lays-bbq-clone-rub.248703/

Lays BBQ Clone (for potato chips)

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup salt
2.5 oz powdered mustard
2.5 oz paprika
2 oz onion soup mix
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes

Mix together well. Then grind into powder with a coffee grinder​

All I have to say is..Jiffy pop isn't meant to catch on fire? I swore thats why we bought it..LOL!

As for bacon grease- that is what my whirley pop is basically for, when I actually have bacon grease left over, I use it in that and...well. A rare treat.

Yum! Just finished me a bag of Act II, with Butter, and Parmesan.
Pop the bag, melted the butter (12 seconds), Drizzled and cheesed it up.
With my second cold beer after my last run of the day.

One happy Pappy here. :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky