Ref; Curried Acorn Squash Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
We got two acorn squash and no one had any plans, but I wanted some soup, so I whipped this up today.

List of what you need:
3 medium size acorn squash.
Onion. 1/2 Cup chopped. <I always use a bit more then this my self>
Butter.
Curry Powder. 3-5 Teaspoons
Nutmeg. 1 Teaspoon
Salt.
Pepper.
Chicken Stock. 3 Cups
Half and Half <Or if you want to go over the top..the real deal!> 1 Cup

Now I only had two acorn squash, so I adjusted every thing to suit this..except the half and half. My bad.

So you bake your halved squash at 350 for 35-40 minutes until it's more on the tender side and make sure you removed those seeds! Also grease the baking pan! <You might just want to bake it till tender for ease of scooping it out>. While you are doing this, melt butter in the pot you intend to use and put in the onions and curry powder. The recipe says -2- Tablespoons butter. This is not enough when you consider the curry powder, I used closer to 4 or 5 because I was trying to keep it from burning. I also added some minced garlic. Sautee until onion is tender, pull from the heat.

Now when the squash is done in the oven, you let it cool a bit so you can handle it, and scoop the flesh out into the soup pot and then add in your stock. I prefer a thicker soup..more stew like, so I go under what is called for. I can dilute it more with cream right? Following this you put the pot back on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, you want that squash about to fall apart. Then once again, off the heat and you get out a blender. You want to use the blender to turn this into a bisque or cream of squash look. After this..if you had to remove from soup pot, you pour it back in, and add your cream, nutmeg, and pepper.

You can garnish with bacon when serving, but I think a slice of thickly cut homemade bread may do better. This was a recipe from a cookbook I referenced from another thread. I strongly urge if you like soup to pick up a copy:

PS: As always sorry for shoddy pictures! If you think I missed some thing in my directions, ask away. I likely did and would hate for some one to try and follow my slapdash methods and waste their money.

Attachments

• 20181024_151138.jpg
    20181024_151138.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181024_152027.jpg
    20181024_152027.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181024_153533.jpg
    20181024_153533.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181024_153922.jpg
    20181024_153922.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181024_161128.jpg
    20181024_161128.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
So, was it as good as it looks?
It is. Just a bit thinner then I wanted <Because I used a full cup of half and half vs 2/3>

Sounds good to me.
Like!
Thanks Chile! I remembered people wondering about curried squash ...didn't you wonder as well? I'll do others leading up to thanksgiving and probably serve one of them on the day of :)

Sounds & looks delicious!
Nice work!
I'm hoping to get some cooler weather down here soon, as I have a ham bone just waiting for white bean soup!
Al

Sounds & looks delicious!
Nice work!
I'm hoping to get some cooler weather down here soon, as I have a ham bone just waiting for white bean soup!
Al
For us it's split pea and ham! <We've had snow twice here now Al. Come visit WI..it's down in the 30's at night!>

Any thoughts on throwing the squash on the smoker for a smoky flavor?
I haven't. I mean you could, but I think with how delicate squash's flavour profile is, you'd really just ruin it. Even salt and pepper in small amounts can wipe out the flavour of alot of squash. Even for butternut or the like, we just add butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar at most.

Some one will have to try it, but I don't know if it'll be the best idea..I volunteer the poster who asked ;)

I've never tried squash soup. I need to, it looks delish!!
Tis the season! You can find alot of styles out there if you dislike it curried. First time I ever did it was just a bisque. Nothing fancy. Might get a pumpkin to do some soup with sooner then later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky