Ref; Cherry Dry Rubs/Other fruit rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So I'm just wondering if any one out there has made or purchased a good cherry dry rub. I -love- cherries and I'd love to do cherry rub on pork loin, and sprinkle it into shredded pork. Since I freeze the pork butt unseasoned/sauced.

Some googling yesterday mentioned maybe one, and reviews basically said 'Vaguely sweet' and if I just wanted sweet I could toss brown sugar on it, hoping to find a dry rub to mix in that definitely tastes of cherry.

Other fruit rubs that definitely taste of the fruit are appreciated too. Like Mango, I have a food marriage to Mango flavour. Just curious if they exist or failing that where I'd find good quality ingredients to make dry rubs?

Heck if you make it and sell it, post me some info, I might end up ordering it!

TKRFV, Maybe you could get some dried cherries and grind them up , add some of your favorite spices and have your rub ?

Read people trying that, apparently it just turns to a gum like paste and I have no idea where you'd buy like ..uh what ever BBQ companies use!

Oh making a cherry sauce isn't a problem..heck I can buy stuff made a county away by a small business! Ahh well..I might have to order some I saw online and do a report on it for every one else!

While dried cherries still contain moisture and get gummy. Freeze Dried Cherries, or other fruit, are moisture free and can be ground into a powder. Freeze dried fruit powder is available online...JJ

I use the Wild Cherry Rub from Butchers BBQ. i am not allowed to post a link but you can google it. its by a guy who won BBQ pitmasters a few years ago: Dave Bouska

Here is what it looks like with some CSR's rubbed with it ...great on pork or chicken...

Hope this Helps,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: ksblazer
I'll have to keep my eyes open locally before I go and order online! I'll also need to pick up some freeze dried cherry powder! Thanks!

Wife picked up a bottle of John Henry's raspberry chipolte rub Thursday and I'm test driving it on 2 chicken thighs rite now and smoking with LJ cherry pellets,will report back

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Wow some good flavor from the cherry wood,going to do 4 racks today and the JH rub is a hit,a little bit of heat but not over powering,

I'll put that on my list of things to acquire! Sounds like it would be perfect for ribs and chicken then!

I need to pick up an injector because Black Berries are super easy for me to get; would love to try and a spicy blackberry marinade with pork and chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky