Red's Sunday Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Howdy Friends!

I hadn't cooked a brisket yet in my new Southern Q pit, and was hankering to do one for a while now...but we've been having a hard time of late finding any decent briskets locally that weren't priced ridiculous. Every time we've been in any meat deptartment for the last month we've looked. Anyway, Mrs. Red found a decently priced packer at Walmart's meat dept. last week - only a choice grade, but it didn't look too bad...so she bought one...and Sunday was the day! The prep began Saturday night, with a trim, rub and wrap.

A 12.5 lb. choice grade packer
IMG_0470.JPG

Since it was a choice grade, I had to do more trimming than I normally would...quite a lot of hard fat on this one that needed to come off.
IMG_0475.JPG

Rubbed it with a commercial beef rub I kinda like...Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow. Then wrapped up to spend Saturday night in the fridge.
IMG_0472.JPG

Sunday morning...the Southern Q is coming up to temp...
IMG_0476.JPG

In she goes! Smoker was running along nicely at 250*, with B&B Charcoal briqs and hickory chunks in the firebox.
IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

I don't usually Texas Crutch, but to save some time, I did this time...about 9 hours into the cook, I foiled with some beef broth and cranked the Southern Q up to 300*.

Total cook time was about 12 hours, then an hour rest on the counter before it came out of the foil.
IMG_0481.JPG

A few choice slices, up close and personal!
IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

Hope you enjoyed...thanks for checking it out!

Red

Looks mighty tasty Red - I think you have the southern Q pit down mastered.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks mighty tasty Red - I think you have the southern Q pit down mastered.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the kind words and the like Chris! I have to admit the new rig didn't have much of a learning curve. Runs just like the old one did...and they're both pretty idiot-proof!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky