RecTec RT-700 "Bull" - First Impressions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jason@Texas

Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Based on the recommendations on this thread, I pulled the trigger and got a RecTec RT-700. As promised, I'm going to share my experiences thus far, which involve buying it, assembling it and an initial smoke of some pork ribs.

tl;dr - Great smoker, solid build and newbie friendly. Some minor issues that reflect a need for better quality control at wherever these things are fabricated. Company is very customer-oriented and easy to get a hold of.

Value - A
For $1,895, I got the smoker, searing kit, folding front shelf, cover, competition cart, 200 pounds of pellets, a couple of cooking mats, and a t-shirt. Currently, the "gold" package at $1,999 is pretty close, with the addition of a smoke box and no t-shirt.

Delivery / Fulfillment - B
Free shipping via freight. Only downside is that the freight company has scheduled a morning delivery but, come to find out, residential is always end of the day. Ended up missing a day of work because of that. The grill and accessories came on a pallet with no visible damage. The competition cart was back ordered. There was a letter taped onto the pallet stating as such, but it was on the "back" of the pallet, I didn't see it, and called RecTec in a panic. Anyways, got the competition cart a couple of weeks later, all good. Packaging is top-notch. Thick cardboard protects the grill very well.

Smoker Quality of Materials and Construction - A
The RT-700 is built like a tank. Thick stainless steel which should stand up to the elements well. The pellet hopper, auger, fire box are solid. The lid is thick enough to keep heat in but lifts easily and fits well over the barrel.

Assembly - B
Assembly is relatively straight-forward, with the exception of the competition cart, see below. Definitely a two-person job, but you don't need linebackers to pull it off. Printed manuals would be kind of nice - the videos are kind of a pain to deal with, and you can print the manual, but the PDF is oriented to the screen, with black backgrounds and such, and seems like it would take a lot of ink to print. Nitpicking, I know, it's the 21st century, we don't print manuals any more...

Competition Cart - C
The competition cart was the most frustrating part of this whole exercise. RecTec has a video on assembling the cart where the pieces basically fall into place and screwed together with less effort than buttering bread. I would have liked to have seen them do that with the cart parts I got. The side panels were bent enough that it took a decent chunk of force to hold them together and let the screws get things mostly aligned. The shell that holds up the smoker was visibly bent on the edge. I eventually got it together, but when we got to the point where we mounted the smoker on the cart, it got painful. After about 30 minutes of wrestling the the unit (pushing, shoving, etc.) we got all but one bolt to go in, and ended up using a smaller bolt where that went. The parts of the cart itself are powder coated but there were lots of nicks and scratches. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to go over it again in the not-too-distant future with some touch-up spray paint or something. The cart felt like it didn't get built with anywhere near the quality control of the smoker. Can't say 100% for sure, but I'm pretty sure these issues were not related to the packaging or shipment of the cart, but handling before it was packed.

Front Shelf - Incomplete
We mounted the front shelf and it took a few seconds to figure out what was wrong. The bull was upside down. We called RecTec, sent a picture, and they're sending me out another shelf.

Pellets - B
Got 200 lb. of pellets with the package I got. The bags seemed like they had been sitting around a while (faded, etc.) and one bag of pellets was taped together with shipping tape. Aesthetics aside, the pellets work great on my first cook, smelled wonderful and imparted a pronounced, but not overpowering, flavor. Smoke was nice and "blue".

Cooking - A
This is my first time using a dedicated smoker. I followed the instructions for the initial run (400 degrees for an hour with a few ounces of pellets thrown into the fire box). Controls are easy to use. One of the reasons I chose this smoker was its reputation for consistent temperature and efficient pellet usage, and the RT-700 delivered. For my first cook attempt, I got a rack of pork ribs and used the 3-2-1 ribs recipe on RecTec's site; substituting honey-mustard (no yellow sitting around) and my own rub. I think they turned out really well, and the family agreed. I was able to use the WiFi app to monitor the smoker, although I really didn't have to mess with it much.

Customer Service - A
Humans pick up the phone, and they're empowered to help and pleasant to deal with. Company seems very customer-focused.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Thanks again to this community!

Thanks for the review of your new RecTec. The Bull and Stampede are on my short list for my next smoker. Good luck and enjoy your future smokes.

Based on the recommendations on this thread, I pulled the trigger and got a RecTec RT-700. As promised, I'm going to share my experiences thus far, which involve buying it, assembling it and an initial smoke of some pork ribs.

tl;dr - Great smoker, solid build and newbie friendly. Some minor issues that reflect a need for better quality control at wherever these things are fabricated. Company is very customer-oriented and easy to get a hold of.

Value - A
For $1,895, I got the smoker, searing kit, folding front shelf, cover, competition cart, 200 pounds of pellets, a couple of cooking mats, and a t-shirt. Currently, the "gold" package at $1,999 is pretty close, with the addition of a smoke box and no t-shirt.

Delivery / Fulfillment - B
Free shipping via freight. Only downside is that the freight company has scheduled a morning delivery but, come to find out, residential is always end of the day. Ended up missing a day of work because of that. The grill and accessories came on a pallet with no visible damage. The competition cart was back ordered. There was a letter taped onto the pallet stating as such, but it was on the "back" of the pallet, I didn't see it, and called RecTec in a panic. Anyways, got the competition cart a couple of weeks later, all good. Packaging is top-notch. Thick cardboard protects the grill very well.

Smoker Quality of Materials and Construction - A
The RT-700 is built like a tank. Thick stainless steel which should stand up to the elements well. The pellet hopper, auger, fire box are solid. The lid is thick enough to keep heat in but lifts easily and fits well over the barrel.

Assembly - B
Assembly is relatively straight-forward, with the exception of the competition cart, see below. Definitely a two-person job, but you don't need linebackers to pull it off. Printed manuals would be kind of nice - the videos are kind of a pain to deal with, and you can print the manual, but the PDF is oriented to the screen, with black backgrounds and such, and seems like it would take a lot of ink to print. Nitpicking, I know, it's the 21st century, we don't print manuals any more...

Competition Cart - C
The competition cart was the most frustrating part of this whole exercise. RecTec has a video on assembling the cart where the pieces basically fall into place and screwed together with less effort than buttering bread. I would have liked to have seen them do that with the cart parts I got. The side panels were bent enough that it took a decent chunk of force to hold them together and let the screws get things mostly aligned. The shell that holds up the smoker was visibly bent on the edge. I eventually got it together, but when we got to the point where we mounted the smoker on the cart, it got painful. After about 30 minutes of wrestling the the unit (pushing, shoving, etc.) we got all but one bolt to go in, and ended up using a smaller bolt where that went. The parts of the cart itself are powder coated but there were lots of nicks and scratches. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to go over it again in the not-too-distant future with some touch-up spray paint or something. The cart felt like it didn't get built with anywhere near the quality control of the smoker. Can't say 100% for sure, but I'm pretty sure these issues were not related to the packaging or shipment of the cart, but handling before it was packed.

Front Shelf - Incomplete
We mounted the front shelf and it took a few seconds to figure out what was wrong. The bull was upside down. We called RecTec, sent a picture, and they're sending me out another shelf.

Pellets - B
Got 200 lb. of pellets with the package I got. The bags seemed like they had been sitting around a while (faded, etc.) and one bag of pellets was taped together with shipping tape. Aesthetics aside, the pellets work great on my first cook, smelled wonderful and imparted a pronounced, but not overpowering, flavor. Smoke was nice and "blue".

Cooking - A
This is my first time using a dedicated smoker. I followed the instructions for the initial run (400 degrees for an hour with a few ounces of pellets thrown into the fire box). Controls are easy to use. One of the reasons I chose this smoker was its reputation for consistent temperature and efficient pellet usage, and the RT-700 delivered. For my first cook attempt, I got a rack of pork ribs and used the 3-2-1 ribs recipe on RecTec's site; substituting honey-mustard (no yellow sitting around) and my own rub. I think they turned out really well, and the family agreed. I was able to use the WiFi app to monitor the smoker, although I really didn't have to mess with it much.

Customer Service - A
Humans pick up the phone, and they're empowered to help and pleasant to deal with. Company seems very customer-focused.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Thanks again to this community!

Nice review. And the ribs look great.

I hate that the competition cart had the issues that you described. You should let them know about that too if you didn’t already. And the emblem stamping error on the shelf, ugh.

But yeah, on the grill itself and it’s operation, your review was exactly what I expected.

As for the printed manual. I have a Stampede that I bought in January. It had a printed manual.

However I bought a second Stampede recently, and it did not have a printed manual.

I've noticed that some of the recent products that I have bought, came with a printed manual as well as instructions on their respective websites. I suspect that more and more manufacturers will do away with written manuals and go to internet based instructions such as the assembly and instructional videos that Rec Tec makes.

Their sales and delivery approach, among a few other things, seem to be a little different in that they encourage the customer to bide the wait time between placing the order and the date of delivery, by familiarizing himself or herself, with the assembly videos as well as downloading the Rec Tec app to one's smart phone and becoming familiar with it's operation through the videos.

It's somewhat of a unique approach in that actually watching someone assemble an item, and being able to follow that, or mimic that at your own pace, might be more effective and descriptive than attempting to explain the same thing in print. It's certainly more graphic.

The second Stampede, I gifted. By the time the recipient of the gifted Stampede had gotten the item, he was ready with his drill for driving the screws, his wrench for holding the bolts when he drove the leg screws, and was able to get it assembled, up and running, the WiFi connected the app working for the initial burn in without looking at anything on paper, because he had already watched the videos, the assembly video and the wifi video, and the PID controller video before receiving his Stampede.

I've found the videos to be short and easy to watch. However others may not. But then, it's not uncommon to find complaints regarding other products, that the written instructions were difficult to follow.

It's a no win. Some are going to like the instructional video approach in lieu of written instructions. Others won't be completely on board with it

I like their decision to forgo the printed manual, and giving the customer the option to print a manual if they like, or to simply follow the assembly and operation videos that they have put up. I think it's a great move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason@Texas
Yah, who whole "printed manual vs. video" thing is a bit of Kobayashi Maru scenario. I ran into a relatively nice solution when I got an inversion table for my wife. They used this app called BILT which was interactive, it was step-by-step, and you could zoom in on details on structural diagrams; it was pretty slick - easier than pausing and stepping back through a video. But, overall, the RecTec videos are fine, and there's no use wasting dead trees on printed manuals when we can use them for pellets instead!

I'll definitely hit up RecTec about the cart; if nothing else, it may help the next customer.

Looking forward to continue putting this beast through its paces today :)

... As for the printed manual. I have a Stampede that I bought in January. It had a printed manual.

However I bought a second Stampede recently, and it did not have a printed manual.

... I like their decision to forgo the printed manual, and giving the customer the option to print a manual if they like, or to simply follow the assembly and operation videos that they have put up. I think it's a great move.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky