• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colton Adams

Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the RecTec Trailblazer RT-340? I'm looking to get my first pellet grill. I had been looking at a $299 Member's Mark Pellet Grill from Sam's Club but the reviews make it seem like it breaks very often.

$600 is really my limit. Is the RecTec Trailblazer the ONE I should be looking at and getting? Or is there something else out there that I should be looking at?

Maybe one of the guys, with a better memory, will chime in but...I seem to remember a recent post were the concensus was the Little Rec Tech was cheaply made and inferior to its big brothers. Help me out Gentlemen...JJ

If you're looking for small, I have heard good things about the GMG Davy Crockett. There a few bad reviews but mostly good ones.

I'm not necessarily looking for small...just something that won't break the bank. And the Trailblazer at $600 is what I'm comfortable going up to. It just seems as if people think RecTec is a great company and better than Traeger. Yoder is way out of my range.

The GMG Davy Crockett seems like a good grill. But seems as if RecTec really stands by their products. But not sure it's worth the $600 price tag, especially as a first pellet grill. I've been reading up and everything for a few months now and just don't know what direction I should go.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago and decided to spend a little more money to get the pellet smoker I really wanted. I prefer to just buy once and be done.

The Camp Chef is fine and many like them but you’re going to get a better controller, stainless steel and a ceramic ignitor with the RecTec.

Reactions: Colton Adams
Thanks Ross. I'll probably go with the RecTec. Is a smoke stack essential? Read somewhere that people wouldn't buy the Trailblazer because it doesn't have a smoke stack.

The only issue would be rain possibly getting in during a cook but they sell stainless vents if you think it would be a concern.

Yes Chris, thanks. I did not realize they had two small portable smokers. I thought the Trailblazer was just tweaked, for the worst, and renamed ...JJ

Yes Chris, thanks. I did not realize they had two small portable smokers. I thought the Trailblazer was just tweaked, for the worst, and renamed ...JJ

I have the Rec Tec Mini, which is the predecessor to the one the OP was thinking about and love it!!!! If trying to decide between it and a Pitboss or whatever, go the extra mile and get the Rec Tec.
I had mine about a year and a have and it started tripping the circuit breaker. Called Rec Tec and was told the ignitor rod was bad. They asked to verify my info, name, address, etc, and said they would send one out. Told me where to find the installation instructions and if I had any problem to call them back and they'd walk me through it.
I told them again that it was out of warranty and they still said no charge.
I said the only thing better than their product was their service!
For what it's worth.

Last edited:
Can you fit a whole brisket on a 340? I've looked around and can't seem to see a picture.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the RecTec Trailblazer RT-340? I'm looking to get my first pellet grill. I had been looking at a $299 Member's Mark Pellet Grill from Sam's Club but the reviews make it seem like it breaks very often.

$600 is really my limit. Is the RecTec Trailblazer the ONE I should be looking at and getting? Or is there something else out there that I should be looking at?
Yes just bought one and have used it twice. Great grill and fabulous computer system.......set it to your desired temperature and forget it. Oh yes! Better have pellets in it. It will hold a good 20# of fuel. Don't let it fool you there is a lot of cooking space in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky