Rec Tec Bullseye; D.O.A.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lookn4u

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Arlington, TX
Well, after being more than happy with my Rec Tec Bull and Matador I decided to go ahead and get the Bullseye just have a quick easy way to "grill" burgers, dogs and whatnot with out pulling out and setting up the 700. EDIT:08/23/2109 Rec Tec has reached out to me and has made this right, They are sending a whole lower bottom half, all of the electronics and wiring. This company continues to impress me more and more..

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
Well that's a bummer. Hope they take good care of you.

Chris

Thanks for your honesty. I'm sorry to hear.
Often the low end of the line (of many brands) is... well... low end.
So I'm curious, What is the Country of Origin on the box?
That usually tells me a lot.

Well, after being more than happy with my Rec Tec Bull and Matador I decided to go ahead and get the Bullseye just have a quick easy way to "grill" burgers, dogs and whatnot with out pulling out and setting up the 700. Something easier to take along to the park pavilions and the campsites we use that have power. We finally had a chance to assemble and try it out yesterday, what a letdown. While the 700 and the Matador both are built like tanks, this thing is about as sturdy as a 20 year old Webber Kettle that's been living outdoors. Flimsy is a compliment; plus its dead already, the ceramic igniter is a "no go" D.O.A. I will call Monday and have then send a new one, but even if it had worked I think I would still be a little disappointed, the whole set up just seems "cheap" to me. I'll let everybody know how it goes......
That was my worst fear and why I never bought one yet.
They just didn’t look solid. Best of luck and thanks for the info.

Talked to Rec Tec this morning, they were very apologetic and I have already received the shipping info on the replacement igniter rod. Will up date after it gets here.........

Received the new igniter rod Friday, but did not get a chance to install it this weekend. I am traveling for the next two weeks so I will not have a chance to install till after the 24th. I will update after that.

Vacation is over and new igniter is in. Still a no go. Going to call tomorrow and see about just sending it back. Still can’t get past the overall poor quality of it all. Still love the Bull and the Matador, but this thing is junk. Plain and simple. Junk.

May I ask how your situation ended? Favorable for you, I hope...

Not yet, but more on me than Rec Tec. Time is something I have very little of. I have replaced the igniter rod that they sent without protest and very quickly. It did not work either, this one gets warm on the end, but still not to hot to touch. We have "messed" with it some here and there, but still have not successfully had it going yet. It's kind of become that $400 elephant in the back of the garage that I can't stand to look at.

Last edited:
Not yet, but more on me than Rec Tec. Time is something I have very little of. I have replaced the igniter rod that they sent without protest and very quickly. It did not work either, this one gets warm on the end, but still not to hot to touch. We have "messed" with it some here and there, but still have not successfully had it going yet. It's kind of become that $400 elephant in the back of the garage that I can't stand to look at. If you have read through this thread you would see that even if it worked as advertised, I would still be disappointed. The whole thing is wanting in every way. After getting my Bull and Matador and being more than pleased in every way, I guess you can say that the third time was not a charm. "if" I ever get it going I will be sure to let everyone know.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having to deal with this issue, regardless of whether you have available time or not. You made your decision to choose a Bullseye based upon good experiences on prior equipment purchases from Rec Tec. I understand marketing and having to hit price points for each customer segment, but sacrificing the overall reputation of their company by releasing a “cheap” product is not something that bodes well for them. By the way, I’ve read a lot about pellet grills lately and can tell you that you’re definitely not the first to express negative sentiment about the Bullseye. I’m hoping for a favorable resolution for you, whether that means repair, replacement or return.

OK, so here's where we ended up. Grilled some burgers on it this weekend and they came out great. The Bullseye cooks nice and makes tons of smoke at lower temps. As far as the igniter goes, I just abandoned the whole thing. We used a torch to start it up and after seeing how easy that was, we will just go with theat. At least I can cook on it.
Jon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky