Rectec 680 - improvement ideas from somone who really doesn’t know

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SCSweeney

Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
I’ve been lurking for a long time and am pretty well set on purchasing a Rectec 680. Not sure when ... maybe this spring. It seems to me that with a few small improvements (and no increase in price), it could be the perfect pellet smoker. Heck I’d spend a few more bucks for these features.

1. Add ash clean out for fire pot.
2. Replace the drip bucket with a removable drip tray.
3. Replace smokestack with vents in back for more even heat and more smoke in the cooking chamber, though I’m not sure how to incorporate the optional smoker / warming box.
4. Add pellet hopper dump(s).
5. Add single (or double) flange to the door for better seal. I don’t think the door has a flange but may be mistaken.

1, 2, and 4 are convenience features.

3 is based on my thought that stacks are unnecessary for pellet grills. Stick burners need good, controllable air flow ... for controlling the fire / cooking chamber temp and even convection heat for the cooking. I don’t think pellet burners with PID and fans need either. I would also think well-placed vents in would result in more smoke on the meat. Plus, the stack may be the cause of uneven temps (left to right) within the chamber.

Am I crazy? Any other recommendations or ideas?

I agree on the hopper dump and drip bucket. I hate the drip bucket.

I smoked a brisket flat today and had no issue with the amount of smoke flavor. But I prefer a lighter smoke flavor. I did not like the taste imparted by the Masterbuilt electric I had. More smoke but it was ashtray smoke.

I don't have an issue with ash in my fire pot. I get way more in the bottom of the grill around the fire pot.

I don't know enough about the properties of smoke to comment on the vents vs smoke stack but I think it may not work due to the placement of the pellet hopper in the back.

I had a CampChef and used to think the ash cleanout was an important feature. But now that I own a grill without one, I realize that I am cleaning out the firepot as frequently as I clean out the bottom of the grill. Remember that the fan blows out most of the ash during cool down anyway, so the feature doesn't really add much.

And for pellet dump, many folks never change pellet types anyway. Pellet grills have such a light smoke profile that it's really difficult to tell one wood type from another. And those that do switch usually only fill the hopper with as much pellets as they need for their next cook. If you do need to change, scooping them out of the hopper with a plastic cup is just as fast as most of the pellet dump systems.

So I wouldn't let either of these influence your decision much.

My dog would leak a grease bucket clean if it had one, that's one reason I bought a Memphis. But that would take a major re-design of the RecTec to incorporate an internal grease system. I know they are coming out with several new products soon - it will be interesting to see what they have.

The only thing I did on my 680 was add an elbow to the exhaust to draw closer to the grate.
This also helped with temp across the cc.
Never have a problem with temp swings.
I dedicated a small shop vac for cleaning out the guts of the grill.
Works really well.

Here are a couple pics of the elbow.

IMG_20160228_133417997_TOP.jpg
IMG_20150730_192833707.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky