Record Heat Burger & a Beer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
So yesterday at the hottest part of the day, on the hottest day ever on this date here in beautiful Gilbert, Arizona, it was 119º according to the news on TV. My plan was to cook a southwest bacon cheeseburger on the Blackstone flattop under my patio. In the shade with two ceiling fans going on high it was pretty darned warm out there so I turned on the burners and jumped in the pool. Jan brought me everything I had pre-assembled from the kitchen, first up was the onions.
DSCN2069.JPG

Then two slices on my homemade maple bacon cut in half
DSCN2070.JPG

I wasn't wasting time or dilly dallying, even with the ceiling fans the burger wasn't the only think cooking, 116º!
DSCN2076.JPG

Getting the bacon off to the side I dropped on the 9oz. burger and a few slices of honey ham
DSCN2071.JPG

Decided earlier I'd go with American cheese today, it melts fast and I'm an American
DSCN2072.JPG

Had my homemade burger bun all prepped with mayo on one side and SBR on the other, plated and inside the air conditioned house
DSCN2075.JPG

I'll tell ya, it might have been hot but it sure as hell wasn't too hot to eat! It didn't take but a few minutes to gobble down that delicious burger and drill that Rolling Rock. Once finished I didn't wait a half hour either, right back into the pool. So that's my story, thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Oh My!!!
That Burger looks Fantastic!!
Nice Job, Ray!
Like.
I guess the Covid-19 is gone in AZ now?
Our Dear Leader said back in March that when it warms up in April, it's all gonna go away--Just like Magic!! I'm thinking 119° must be much too Warm for this Virus to survive.

Bear

I would take a couple of those Ray! You could have saved yourself a little time and effort and just thrown them on the cement! :emoji_laughing: Keep cool!
I was thinking the same thing, right on the cement! Dang that's hot. The burger looks fantastic! They're on the menu here for tonight, hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Reactions: sawhorseray
great looking burger Ray! Think in that heat I might have settled for cold meat sandwich...or just more beers!

Ryan

Damn Ray, great way to make the best of an uncomfortable situation. That burger looks like it covers all the required bases and then some. Great job buddy!!

Robert

I would take a couple of those Ray! You could have saved yourself a little time and effort and just thrown them on the cement! :emoji_laughing: Keep cool!

Not far off Denny! I checked out my offset and the temp gauge for the cook chamber was reading 160º just sitting there. Thanks for the Like Denny, I do appreciate it. RAY

Oh My!!! That Burger looks Fantastic!! Nice Job, Ray! Like. I guess the Covid-19 is gone in AZ now? Our Dear Leader said back in March that when it warms up in April, it's all gonna go away--Just like Magic!! I'm thinking 119° must be much too Warm for this Virus to survive. Bear

Thanks Bear! It appears Our Dear Leader was possibly talking out of his hat back then John, we're right up there with the worst spots in the nation and the virus seemed to heat up right along with the temps here. Thanks for the Like Bear, much appreciated. RAY

I was thinking the same thing, right on the cement! Dang that's hot. The burger looks fantastic! They're on the menu here for tonight, hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Thanks DW, the pool is for cool! RAY

Good lookin burger !

Thanks Rich, it was just the way I like them, meat, cheese, and onions, simple. Thank you for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

great looking burger Ray! Think in that heat I might have settled for cold meat sandwich...or just more beers! Ryan

That just might be on tonight's dinner menu Ryan, the cold meat sanny that is, I already know there will be beers. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Awesome burger Ray! The honey ham and bacon look like excellent additions. With that heat, the meal must have practically cooked itself.

Looking good! Although I would have needed just a few more beers to wash that down in that kind if heat! Lol!

Sounds like a perfect way to spend the hottest day of the year.
It’s hot here too, but with the humidity they are saying feels like 105-110.
I cooked a couple of burgers last night too, only in a CI pan on the side burner of the gas grill. Hopefully that hurricane will go up the east coast & give us a cooler North wind. Anyhow the burger looks fantastic, but I wouldn’t have stopped at just one RR!
Al

Burger looks great Ray! Hope you got plenty of Rolling Rock's in the fridge to keep you hydrated.

John the fridge is loaded with Rocks and the pantry is stocked for when the fridge needs to be reloaded, it's critical to have a good supply with this heat. I mean, with no beer I'd have to drink water? Uh, no! Thanks for the like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Great lookin' burger there Ray! Now you know why I got the place up in the mountains....really hot here too but only in the 90's :emoji_laughing: BIG LIKE! John

Thanks you my friend! We're tossing around the idea of getting an acre in the boonies somewhere just to park the camper and boat so we wouldn't have to be near any other folks at a CG. Thank you for the like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

Looks great!

Thanks Peach, tasted every bit as good as it looks! RAY

Damn Ray, great way to make the best of an uncomfortable situation. That burger looks like it covers all the required bases and then some. Great job buddy!! Robert

Thank you Robert, it really did foot the bill. Whereas I'd usually have some fries or tater salad on the side by the time I finished this burger I was stuffed. Thank you for the LLike my friend, I do appreciate it. RAY

Awesome burger Ray! The honey ham and bacon look like excellent additions. With that heat, the meal must have practically cooked itself.

Thank you Joe! With the ham, bacon, caramelized onion, and SBR it really had a sweet taste for a burger, sometimes I like that. The entire profile can be changed just by using some strong mustard in place of the SBR sauce. Thanks for the Like Joe, much appreciated. RAY

Looking good! Although I would have needed just a few more beers to wash that down in that kind if heat! Lol!

Thanks Travis, I'll explain it all to Al!

Sounds like a perfect way to spend the hottest day of the year. It’s hot here too, but with the humidity they are saying feels like 105-110. I cooked a couple of burgers last night too, only in a CI pan on the side burner of the gas grill. Hopefully that hurricane will go up the east coast & give us a cooler North wind. Anyhow the burger looks fantastic, but I wouldn’t have stopped at just one RR! Al

Thanks Al! See the thing here is we have a "dry heat", but 119º still feels like 119º, and that is friggin' cookin'! I usually have my first beer right around noon, maybe a little earlier these days, and will have a few more until it's Evan Williams time around three. I like to eat right around five so after a couple of 5oz glasses neat over a couple of hours, a beer and a burger will usually put me into a food come for about an hour. Thank you for the Like Al, I truly do appreciate it. RAY

Ray you killing me with the burger! That looks excellent!

Thanks JL! Don't let it get to you, fire up your grill and get to cooking! Why you could even put some lettuce on your burger and have all four major food groups covered, meat, bread, veggies, and alcohol! Thanks for the Like JL, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks you my friend! We're tossing around the idea of getting an acre in the boonies somewhere just to park the camper and boat so we wouldn't have to be near any other folks at a CG. Thank you for the like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

That's a good idea Ray!

I had to get the place here in the mountains as Sue said she was leaving the state without me if we didn't get some place to get out of that god awful heat. And I agreed cause after 10 years of it I was ready to pack up and leave too. :emoji_astonished:

That a good looking burger Ray , I'm not sure i could survive a 120 degree day i complain when it hits 90 here.

Thanks Jim! I don't think I could do it either if it weren't for the pool, I jump in a easy half dozen times a day when it's hot, and it's hot for a good five months out of the year. It's actually a great place to be quarantined, go out back and take a dip, dry off in a few minutes, back inside to the AC. Thanks for the Like Jim, I appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky